Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

SRP_GET_FILEVERSION

Has anyone had any probelms with SRP_GET_FILEVERSION not working, specifically with this message?

At first I didn't pay attention to the message and was triple checking the SRP_Utilities version. They were well past the v2.1.10 that introduced SRP_Get_FileVersion.

I then went looking for the actual windows API that was being called, api-ms-win-core-version-l1-1-0.dll. I found it (C:\windows\system32 ) and the web indicates GetFileVersionInfoSizeA has been around in it for a LONG time, certainly before the Server 2012R2 that this is.

Trying to re-register doesn't help. Entry point errors and whatnot.

Can't seem to do much more as it is a Hidden Trusted Installer file. SFC doesn't seemt o mind it. Neither does DISM.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Interestingly enough, when you search for this DLL, it is at the root of a lot of people's frustrations. It's responsible for breaking CAD software, games, you name it. It might behoove you to check the DLL you found with Dependency Walker to see if you can see GetFileVersionInfoSizeA in there. (Note that you need to use the 64-bit version to view the DLL in System32 and the 32-bit version to view the DLL in SysWOW64).

Oddly, I can't actually find this DLL in System32 or SysWOW64 on my machine, yet SRP_Get_FileVersion works. I suspect it's due to how Windows finds DLLs. There is a lot of DLL redirection in modern versions of Windows, so it's quite possible OI is getting the wrong one.

In short, I suspect that OI is finding the wrong DLL, and the possibilities as to why this is happening are unfortunately quite endless. Corrupt DLL. Antivirus messing up the redirection. Extra copies of the DLL is places you don't suspect. Welcome to DLL Hell.

I suppose you could try running the VC++ Runtime for 2015 to see if that fixes it. It's supposed to have this DLL in it.
  • @KevinFournier

That sounds like a plan. I will view the dependicies and then try the VC Runtime. Thanks for some next steps.

BTW, I could locally find mine under the System32/SysWOW64 downlevel subdirectories and SRP_Get_FileVersion works as well.
  • I am beginning to see what you mean about DLL hell.....
  • This seems to handle the Windows API dependencies a little bit better than Dependency Walker...

https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies