Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Problem with record locks

Hello all,

This is going to be a little long, so thanks for your patience.

My client has a process that typically takes 6+ hours to run and runs in the wee hours of the morning, hypothetically before people are actively using the system. When the process is running, all the users know they are not to be doing certain things due to record locks and possible corruption of data. However, on occasion there are those who break the rules and can cause lock contentions with the running process. There are people who monitor the system overnight and are notified when such a lock occurs; but finding out who caused the lock and fixing it can be difficult, especially for non-OI-proficient people.

I know the function RTI_LOCK_OWNER will return the station ID that locked the record. From there, SYSLOGINS should contain the current usernames for the stations; but in my client's system, the username is always SYSPROG. Sometime back, there was functionality written that attempted to write the user's network ID to SYSLOGINS (a read-only table) upon login, but this seems to have been disabled or never worked.

My questions are 3:
1. Is there a better way to tell, from an OI session (Not from the UD server) which user has a record locked?
2. Is there a good way to remotely release said lock without going to the server?
3. Is there a good way to knock the offender off the system, again without going to the server?

Still using OI 9.4. I know all of this can be done easily from the server, but I'm trying for something the monitoring people can do remotely. Maybe there's an un/der documented feature that will remotely communicate such things to/from the LH service?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Comments

• Not sure if this works or not now. I remember RTI_Lock_Owner crashing at one stage.
    Anyway, see if it works for you.

GetLockOwner:

UserId=''
    owner = RTI_Lock_Owner( Filename ,Key )
    if index(owner,'*',1) then
    PcId=field(Owner,'*',2,2)[1,'_']
    end else
    PcId=owner
    end

SysloginsRec=xlate("SYSLOGINS",owner,'','X')
    if SysloginsRec then
    UserId=SysloginsRec<10>
    end
    return
  • Thanks Barry. RTI_Lock_Owner does indeed get me the station ID. But the username is always Sysprog. And field 10 of Syslogins is null. The dictionary only goes to FMC 3. The client had some code that populated F10 with the user's ID, but I guess it doesn't work. The table is supposed to be read-only.

I didn't know if there was some un/der documented feature that could pull anything from the LH service or whatever. Or a call that would let me kick a session off.
  • For one of the apps we've done, we added a Timer event on the main frame, which checks in every five minutes or so. The company's admin staff (and us as developers), have the ability to set a "system maintenance" flag, which 1) prevents new users from logging in; and 2) will force anyone logged in after a defined time (like 11pm) out of the system by using the Timer event and the Utility('DESTROY', 'SYSTEM') routine. Depending on how your system is designed, something like that could be modified so that the reporting routine sets the "flag" that it is running, and the Timer event on the clients reads that and boots the appropriate people off.

The same client also wanted a way to view who was locking records from within their app without having to launch the UD tool. It didn't need to be fancy - just a way where they could see who had the lock so they would know which user to contact. Using a system wide promoted read event, whenever someone reads/locks a record in a window, the system writes out a log item to a table as to who locked the record, the station, what time, table, etc. The "user locking log" window then displays these entries so that other users can see what is locked in a nice simple report table format. The window also confirms that records are still locked, and removes log entries when the records become unlocked. If you had timers on those windows, a similar system flag could be set to "destroy" that window which would release the lock.

There could also be solutions based around something like the SRP Direct Connect control, where you could push messages out to the clients and client windows, which would then fire the appropriate events to both warn users and log them out. It would require a bit more work, but would give you more options/control if you ever needed to expand on the inter-window messaging.
  • Was hoping there was some less-complicated.. maybe a SRP or RTI utility that could kick station-x or session-x off remotely. Something a monitor person could run w/o getting onto the server console.

I'll bat those ideas around a bit. Thanks!
  • Thanks Barry. RTI_Lock_Owner does indeed get me the station ID. But the username is always Sysprog. And field 10 of Syslogins is null. The dictionary only goes to FMC 3. The client had some code that populated F10 with the user's ID, but I guess it doesn't work. The table is supposed to be read-only.

I didn't know if there was some un/der documented feature that could pull anything from the LH service or whatever. Or a call that would let me kick a session off.

The SYSLOGINS table creates SYSPROG rows by default until the session owning the locked record selects the SYSLOGINS table. It's a quirky problem. The SYSLOGINS row is able to be updated by the Application Startup Procedure, which you can specify in field 32 of the ENV_appName row in SYSENV. Check out the ENVIRON_CONSTANTS insert if you haven't already.
  • Was hoping there was some less-complicated.. maybe a SRP or RTI utility that could kick station-x or session-x off remotely. Something a monitor person could run w/o getting onto the server console.

If this client is the one I'm thinking of, we already built a solution for them. It uses the SRP DirectConnect control to talk directly to the running UD Manager on the server and give it remote instructions to show locks, issue unlock requests, etc.
  • field 10 of Syslogins is null

Sorry, it is me that adds the username.
  • Hi Don,

Will look into populating the username as you specified.

The control you mentioned: does it involve the SRPMONITORCONNECT API?

Thanks!
  • Michael - That doesn't sound familiar, but it's been 8 years so it could be.
  • Thanks.. Most everyone who was involved at the time has moved on to other things. I'm not finding a lot of reference to it in the code, so I'm assuming not a lot was actually done with it.

I'll see if I can get them to re-engage with y'all. Not an absolute need, but a nice-to-have.
  • Actually RTI_Lock_Owner doesn't seem to work now.

Quick off-topic question: We started getting a msg
    FS291: List over 64k bytes in BTREE.SUB operations or RELATER routines

I thought the 64k issues were a thing of the past? Is this just a holdover or is it actually limiting the results?
  • It is mostly a thing of the past. There are no 64K limits in the database or with memory, but there are still structures and some internal processes with 64K limits. Most of these have been refactored over the years to take advantage of the increased limits but there are some that remain.
  • Thanks. I think it's a non-issue for now.

RTI_LOCK_OWNER doesn't work at all. In fact it abends OI altogether. Anyone have a workaround?

Again, off-topic: the client has upgraded several of the workstations to Win10. OI still "runs", but more accurately it walks. I don't think the infrastructure people re-ran the clientinstall exe. Should that make a difference? Has anyone seen such a severe performance dive after upgrading to Win10+?

Gratzi!