Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

OEngine eserver.cfg parameters

I am still a bit fuzzy on the exact nature of what some of the eserver.cfg parameters do and was chasing some clarification.

I have read the OI10 guide, OpenInsight OEngineServer Configuration V3.
It describes the parameters but doesn't necessarily fully explain them to the point I genuinely understand what the settings should be. I think it raised more questions than it answered!

I have a site we are trying to keep pretty lean. This is the nuts & bolts of the current configuration:

//Use current engine if possible else new. Hide engine UI. StartupFlags=66 //Engine parameters //Number of simultaneous connections to engine server MaxConnections=0 //Number of oengines allowed MaxEngines=5 //Max time in minutes allowed active in memory MaxUpTime=0 //Max time in minutes allowed run a request before 'hung' and terminated MaxRunTime=5 //Time in minutes engine can be idle IdleTimeout=5 //Time in seconds between checks for idle engines and uptime/runtime IdleCheck=60

Based on my understanding I have set Startup Flags to 66 (from 65) to try an minimize the new engines spawned, (Note, this doesn't seem to help as I always end up with Max Engines anyway)

Is a 'Connection' anything from one source or is every request treated as a different connection?

I don't actually know how a connection gets allocated to an engine.
e.g. If MaxConnections = 0 (unlimited) then theortecially shouldn't I always get only one engine with a Startup of 66 (Lets assume a singular source and a sequential, not concurrent, request queue)? I still always seemingly end up with the Max.

What stops an engine acccepting a new incoming connection and therefore force a new engine to spin up? Is it as simple as it is busy processing another request?

I am thinking maybe I need to set Max UpTime as I end up with Max engines and they all keep growing in size in memory (many hundreds of MB each)

Maybe someone has already written a whitepaper that gives a better understanding of 'under the hood' than the standard Revelation OI doc?