Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Check Box Text Disappearing

I am running OI 9.4.

When I run a form and there are check boxes on the form. The text on the first check box in the tab order disappears. When I select another check box the text that disappeared on the first check box appears. Then the text on the selected check box disappears. If I check another box the same thing happens. The current checked "checked box" disappears and the others appear.

I don't know how long this has been going on. (It is within the last week.) I checked other systems that I maintain and they are not having a problem. Most of them are other versions of OI. There is a version 4 of OI on the same computer that runs fine. So I think it may be a combination of OI and version of Windows. And possibly a newly installed update of windows. (But I cannot verify any of this.)

I created new forms to test this issue. Both data bound and non data bound windows have the same problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Does anyone have a possible solution?

Thanks,
Jeff Miller
Miller's Software Services

Comments

• Are these check boxes inside a group box or tab control?
  • No on both accounts.

I created a new test form with just 4 check box prompts. The first one disappears. I click on 1 of the other 3 and it disappears while the first one appears. And so on.

• Hmmm, I can't recreate this in 9.4.1. I've seen strange rendering behaviors with controls inside group boxes, which are usually resolved by moving the group box in the tab order. Just checkboxes on a clean form though, I can't seem to cause this issue.

Do you use promoted events?
  • There are not Promoted Events in this application. (Yet) It is a conversion from OI 4.

I am wondering if there is an event that controls text being displayed on these prompts. Or a promoted event that would possibly fix how it is acting up.

In the example form that I created. There were only 4 prompts. All Check Boxes. And no procedure (program) being called. Just straight prompts.

I will take your advise and look to see if there is a promoted event that may be called. Just nothing with the words promoted in the program name.

• This is not a solution to the problem but perhaps it is a means to isolate the cause. Create the same form with the 4 check box controls in another application, preferably in a clean copy of OI or at least a different copy of OI than the one that was converted from OI 4.

Then confirm that this form does not exhibit the same problems (which presumably it won't). Then open up the SYSREPOSWINS forms using a code editor in each environment and compare the SDK and the PS style bits for these controls. I'm curious if they differ. If so, that might explain why they render differently. We can explore this further once you've confirmed this.
  • Thank you Don for the suggestion. I am not 100% sure how to compare the two and what I would be looking for.

Another twist to the problem.
    1.) I copied a clean version of OI9 to my clients computer for testing. I copied to a local C: drive to start my journey. The test worked fine. The text on the check box did not disappear.
    2.) Then I copied it to the server to see if that environment had an issue. No problem there.
    3.) Went back to the copy on the C: drive and it became broken. The text on the check box's disappeared. I did nothing different.
    4.) Copied the system from the server back to another folder on the c: drive and all is good there.

I put in this detail in hopes that it triggers some ideas.
  • I don't have any ideas triggered yet, but I would venture to suggest that it is not worth trying to compare the forms as I had previously suggested. The problem does not seem to be rooted to any copy of OI nor does it appear to be a problem that is related to inheriting and old form structure.
  • The puzzle has been solved. I thought I would post the resolution so this will save some headaches for someone else. I am sure at some level this makes sense. So here it is.

I renamed the oinsight.exe to oinsight_jwm.exe to keep some unwanted people in a new application that was upgraded.
    Everything worked fine. But the text of a check box disappeared upon clicking on the prompt. When another box was checked the text of the original box that was checked was restored and the new box's text disappeared.
    I renamed it back to the original name (oinsight.exe) and all was well.
    The renaming of the "exe" caused a display issue. I am sure someone at Revelation could explain the why.

Moral of story - DON'T RENAME THE OINSIGHT.EXE!
  • Thanks for letting us know!