Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Timer event doesn't fire when windows is in "lock screen mode"

edited August 2021 in OpenInsight
Hi,

the TIMER event doesn't seem to be firing when Windows is in lock screen mode. Am I doing something wrong, or is this non-fixable?

Comments

• edit:

Actually I will try idleproc, as that might work..
  • update:
    this works, so this will solve our problem.
  • I am guessing that the Windows timer or the Presentation Manager is suspended when Windows is in Lock mode (although I could have sworn this wasn't the case). IDLEPROC uses the engine.
  • Unfortunately if you have a popup open, OI crashes to the debugger when it tries to run the scheduled program. The error is "error loading program "
  • edited August 2021
    I guess the next thing I will try is start a windows service from Oi when it starts up. The service will periodically send an event to OI, which will make OI perform the desired action. So i just need to figure out how to send an event from one program to anther program. I have read that it is possible.
  • It would help if you elaborated on the full requirement of your project. Also, I couldn't get that link to open.
  • I read your WORKS post and this helped me understand a little more of what you are trying to do. I think this was the detail I was hoping you would have posted here.

At first, I could not replicate your problem. My IDLEPROC routine is called without any problem while running a Popup. I'm actually surprised that it runs at all. Popup is a dialog box, and this is keeping the engine busy while it is running. Thus, I'm surprised the engine ever goes idle at all.

I then decided to look for the post you referenced above. I finally found the post dated March 6, 1999. I'm not sure if you caught this, but there was a suggestion to make sure the name of the routine that IDLEPROC is configured to call is entered in all caps. I do this by default, but I decided to try it in mixed case to see what would happen. Sure enough, without running Popup it ran just fine. When Popup is running I would get a SYS1000: Error loading program "IdleProc_Sub" message.

Does this match your situation?
  • edited August 2021
    wow thanks. I never would have thought of that.

Yes, i tend not to use all caps because it looks ugly.

Thanks!
  • I just tried to get the TIMER event working again when the screen is locked and it worked. I have no idea why it didn't work before when tried.

Anyway, the reason why I mention this is that idleproc has the undesirable property that you can only have 1 idle proc in the app at a time.

• Thanks for the update. This validates my original expectation and personal experience. You are correct, IDLEPROC can only run instances one at a time because there is only one in-process engine.