Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

SRP Editor 2.5.6 crashes on format source code

editor working all day - perfectly
cut/paste block of code - press format icon in editor
OI crashes

restart OI
open editor
cut/pasted code is in place
press format icon
OI crashes

restart OI
open editor
press format icon - see that the code shunts
OI crashes

reboot PC - same nonsense

Comments

• Martin,

Does this happen with any code or just certain code. Can you post the code that causes the crash?
  • Don,

morning - it appears to be the case that any format crashes OI.
    I can format the program using the editor+ from OI, no issue.

Is there something I can do with the VS debugger to capture more detail?
  • Now the editor is canning OI when I do a format change as per this image
    I change the * in col 1 to a / and the thing nukes OI

Can I please have a link to an older version - this is taking up my productive time & is quite annoying.

I've uploaded an image (to somewhere), showing a screen shot of the Editor killing OI.
  • Martin,

When you upload an image you can create a link to it in the discussion post. The Upload page provides the syntax. In your case here is what would be entered:

[[file:6-11-2012 10-41-16 PM.png]]

This image will now come in as so:

I do not think we have an older version available for you to download. We did not make it a practice to keep multiple versions on hand. I would prefer to focus on fixing your particular problem, although so far you are the only reporting this problem.

I typed the code from the image into a stored procedure and attempt to made changes as per your description, including using the Format feature, but the system did not crash.

I think I have some source code you previously sent me that did crash my system. Let me try and find that again. If I can then we will at least target a solution for this. With any good fortune it will solve most or all of your other issues.
  • Hi Don,
    Martin,
    ... so far you are the only reporting this problem.
    I believe Martin is experiencing the same problem I reported in the Crash on Find and Replace thread. Maybe Martin can confirm the Offset address reported in the crash (84ec8 for SRPeditor.ocx, or 121eae for SRPcontrols.ocx)

Cheers, M@
  • visual studio image

Srp.png 104.8K
  • Matt,

There might be a connection between your problem and Martin's. However, the memory address is not likely to be a useful indicator. These kind of issues are subject to external variations which cause different behaviors and trigger points. This is one of the reasons it very difficult replicating either problem.

Martin and Matt,

Stay tuned. We are looking at something now that might be promising.

Thanks.
  • Martin,

I sent you an email with a beta copy of the SRPEditor.ocx. Please let me know if you do not get this.

Thanks.
  • Don,
    worked all day yesterday, this morning the first 'format text' blew up
  • Whatever is the problem is that you do not handle the case of unassigned vars too well.

If MsgText Ne Then
    MsgText = 'H'
    Msg(,MsgText)
    Return 0
    End

The MICON$ is not equated (missing INS file in this program), and you editor nukes itself and OI.

The minute I put the INS file in, my problems go away.
    So, what SRP editor environment settings are being used to cause the editor to stuff up. I am losing time with this & not having too pleasant a sunday nite.

otherwise, can you send me your symbol table so that I can use Visual Studio possibly to help find where the EDITOR is.
    For example, when doing a re-format, I see the code shunt, and the OI keels over. So, can you not follow your logic to see what is happening?

Cheers
  • Martin,

I will let Kevin respond to your request for a symbol table. I suspect that will not be helpful but this is not my area of expertise.

I am somewhat dubious that the problem is related to unassigned variables, although by coincidence the problem you are describing above seems connected. I suspect the reason the problem went away after you added your insert statement was because the code itself is now altered to a point so that the conditions which cause the crash no longer exist.

I remain convinced that the most productive way to solve the problem is get sample code from you that repeatedly causes the SRP Editor to crash. Most of the time you just send snippets and these rarely, if ever, help us.

I believe I have found an old SRP Editor installer. However, this would retrograde your OLE controls to pre-3.x. I do not expect there to be any problems other than new features that we have added since 3.x will not be present. If you want it please confirm and I will forward it to you by email.
  • Ok, formatting this crashes OI
    Insert_file.zip

this is the zipped code
    Open in editor
    press format icon - OI goes into destruct mode

Open OI, open SRP editor, Open this file is the process.
  • Martin,

The link in your post is dead. Perhaps you can email the file to me at kfournier@srpcs.com.
  • Kevin I have emailed this a few days ago.
    have you received the code?
  • Martin,

I can't find any email from you. Can you please resend? I'll watch my email like a hawk until it arrives.