Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Size of form saved in SYSREPOSWINS table

edited June 2023 in OpenInsight
The size of a form displayed in the Form Designer shows as a different (negative) size in the record (e.g. 1208x708 in the little 'Controls' window of the FD shows as -1192 @VM -669 in the SYSREPOSWINS record). Any ideas why? The ORIG_SIZE, ORIG_WIDE, ORIG_HIGH properties use the values stored in the record, affecting window-size calculations. I can use the SIZE property to get the window's current size, but I am just curious to know why the difference. Is there perhaps a programmatic offset I should use with the ORIG_XXX properties?

Update:
BTW, I noticed this remark in the Prog. Ref. Man.:
"Warning! Do not apply the ORIG_SIZE property using the SIZE property. This will make a control invisible and will cause a window to display minimized."
Which explains the shrunk window I have seen.

Comments

• The Form Designer values represent the width and height of the entire form as you see it rendered in the tool. The absolute values of the saved negative numbers represent the width and the height of the client portion of the form, i.e., sans the dimensions of the caption, menu, and borders. These are the more important numbers because different systems will have different themes that affect the size of these non-client areas. Yet, we would expect the client area to be the same in all cases.

Once upon a time OpenInsight would store the numbers that we see in the Form Designer. This led to visual design problems. For example, my bottom or right sided controls would look well designed and positioned in my Form Designer but when the customer ran the form they would look too close to the edge. This was because OpenInsight was trying to preserve the width and height of the overall form regardless if the client drew the caption much taller for the customer than on my machine.