Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Return value of a function called from %PROCESS% during RDK deploy?

I am helping to implement batch processing in which RDK updates will be installed on customer sites from a scheduling program. These updates may run procedures that are called from the %PROCESS% record in the SYSUPGRADE table either before or after the update. The procedures return a result flag indicating whether the pre/post calls succeeded or whether the update should be rescheduled.

Does a mechanism exist in the RDK deployment process to pass the function's return value back to the stored procedure that ran the update?

If not, I suppose the Frameworks Error_Services() could do the job if I manipulate the call stack correctly.

Comments

• edited August 2023
    I do not know if we can return a value from the functions in the %%PROCESS%% record. Error_Services() should allow you to check the result if any of the called procedures raised an error [with Error_Services()].

It might also be possible to have your installation process write to a known record and then check the value of the record after the installation. I.e.

1. Delete the record SYSLISTS*YOURAPPUPGRADE
    2.Run the RDKInstall and have your routines update status to SYSLISTS*YOURAPPUPGRADE
    3. After the upgrade, check SYSLISTS*YOURAPPUPGRADE and see if there was a pass/fail response.

• edited August 2023
    From a VERY old version of the RDK install that I have, I see the following that may help.

If there is a serous error and the install cant continue, there is a Set_FSError(TRUE$)

At the end of all the processes there is Set_Status(FALSE$)

No status is set when [EXECUTE PROCEDURES] or [EXECUTE PROCEDURES POST] are executed

• Thanks, Barry and Jared, for your input. Yes, I will be calling functions from the [EXECUTE PROCEDURES] and [EXECUTE PROCEDURES POST] sections. I read over the capabilities of Error_Services(); I think it will do what I need, and more easily than I had anticipated.