Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Calendar vs Scheduler controls

I have a requirement where the client would like to know when they can work on the next job.
I have been trying to use the scheduler and/or the calendar controls without much success. Has anyone used the SRP controls to visually represent events. Here are some of the requirements:
Already have job budget hrs and hrs worked -> remaining hrs for each job.
Each job is assigned to an employee.
Some job are delayed waiting for parts.
Some job have priority. Already have this data in database.
Client wants to know when next job can be slotted into the schedule.
The work schedule is generated each day starting today.
Has anyone successfully used the calendar or scheduler.
Any advice would be grateful.
Cheis

Comments

• Chris - Based on what you wrote, the Scheduler control would be the more optimal control to use. We have a few clients using this control to do what you are describing. One of our clients has a commercial product built around the Scheduler control. This product focuses on providing a delivery dispatcher with an at-a-glance view of deliveries already booked and enables this person to schedule new deliveries directly through the Scheduler control. We have another client that uses the Scheduler control as a Gantt chart which updates itself in real time based on background processes that are constantly adjusting the schedule due to manufacturing jobs being completed sooner or later than estimated.

I do want to make it clear that the Scheduler control (as well as the Calendar control) do not have business rules intelligence built into them. This is purely up to you. These controls are there to represent appointments (or events), blocked out times, and the available gaps in between.

I'm on holiday at the moment so I don't have access to some screenshots that I think would help you to visualize how this could look. I'll post a few in the next day or two upon my return...unless someone else beats me to it.
  • The Schedule control is the way to go. Each column/row (based on your preferred view) are called Entities. Entities are your resources. They could be cement trucks or, in your case, employees. Then you add Appointments, which would represent jobs in your application, associating them with exactly one employee. These jobs can me moved around to assign them and readjust them as needed. When combined with the SRP Sync Server, multiple users will see the schedule update in real time.

The devils are in the details though, so knowing the challenges you faced would help us determine if the Schedule will get you all the way to victory. For example, assigning jobs to more than one employee would be a challenge, as would breaking jobs up. Both of those are doable, but they require a bit more finesse on the OI side of things.
  • edited August 2023
    Thanks for your advice. I will continue with the scheduler. At this preliminary development I intend to use the scheduler for display only, rather than moving jobs around via the scheduler.
    I have a display of jobs but when I scroll the date the jobs do not track along with the date. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

• Chris,

As promised, I am posting a couple of screenshots. This first one is a personal favorite since it is rather outrageous what the client is doing with it. As you can see, the Scheduler is being displayed on multiple large monitors but stretched to work as a gigantic dispatch board. The overall height is about 6'. Each column (aka entity) represents a delivery truck and driver. Each colored block (aka appointment) represents a job and the colors indicate the status of the job. Note, this view only allows the user to see one day at a time.

This second screenshot shows the scheduler using the horizontal view, similar to a Gantt chart. It allows you to see multiple days at a time if desired. Each row (aka entity) represents a machine in the factory. Each block (aka appointment) represents a scheduled job to be ran on that machine. This particular application has a much improved look, but I cannot post any screenshots because it reveals proprietary information. This older screenshot does not show anything like that but it should give you an idea.

I have a display of jobs but when I scroll the date the jobs do not track along with the date. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Are you able to post a before and after screenshot to help us understand what you are experiencing?