Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Srp Controls

When attempting to download a single control I get the file SRPControls.ocx which is described as RC8.
I know you mentioned that the controls will now come in a single file and that an announcement will be made.
The NEWS notes show 'Released SRPControls.ocx version 3.2' which point to SRP Controls Pro.

Is SRPControls.ocx RC8 the official one we are supposed to be downloading and will registering this, register correctly all the controls that we have a licence for, and, also allow us the 'play with' any other srp control that we do not have a licence for.?

i.e. do we only need to download the one file to get all the controls?

Comments

• Barry,

Okay, the confusion is somewhat understandable but I think I can sort this out for you.

First, the "NEWS" you are referring to comes from the Wiki site. Note the date of that post: 04/08/2015. So, this is a (relatively) old post. However, it is the last official release of the SRP Controls so it is technically accurate.

In our October 26, 2015 blog article we announced that version 4.0 of the SRP Controls was being developed. We also pointed out that the next generation of our controls would be delivered as a single OCX, whether you are a Pro control customer or whether you still wanted to license individual controls.

When that article was written, we were also busy working on our new sites: SRP Forum, SRP Products, and the new SRP Wiki. Our intent was to release everything in or very close to December. Consequently, the SRP Products site was already "prepped" to deliver v4.0 of SRP controls. It was our expectation that this control would have been officially released by then.

Unfortunately, we were delayed in getting v4.0 officially released. However, we did not want to redesign the SRP Products site to support the older (and separated) OCX files. Therefore, we published SRP Products with the current version of the Released Candidate (aka RC) build of the v4.0 control. Thus, when you look you'll see that the downloadable version is v4.0.0 RC8 (or, v4.0.0.8 if viewed from the Details tab of the Properties dialog.)

At the moment I cannot recall if there are any known issues with RC8. To be honest, one of the reasons for the delayed official release is because we haven't found the time to document the changes. Consequently, new fixes and features get slipped in ('cause it is always easier to code than to document! ;-D), and the cycle of delayed releases continues. To be fair, however, there are other reasons for the delay but it all amounts to the same end result.

RC8 is not the latest build either. As you have already seen, Kevin has made newer builds available to address problems posted in the forums. Any of those would be newer (and better) than RC8. Internally we have discussed the need to knuckle down and get an official release completed. If all goes as planned, it should happen sometime this week.

Now, to answer your other questions:

1. For all intent and purposes, consider RC8 as the one you should download and register. It's as "official" as it gets until a true official control is released.

2. Yes, even if you are only licensed for some controls, you can play with all other controls with this OCX.

3. Yes, just download this one file and all of the controls come with it.
  • Hi Don,
    2. Yes, even if you are only licensed for some controls, you can play with all other controls with this OCX.
    Hmm, that doesn't seem to work for us. I recall we used to get 'Evaluation version' messages whenever we experimented with unlicenced controls, but now we get 'Unlicenced' messages and can't evaluate (ie changed settings are not effective). Is that the intention? I presume this is controlled by our SRPlicence.dll

Cheers, M@
  • Matt, you calling me a liar! LOL. I'll have that checked out. I only know what our policy is, I didn't verify the technology since this is how it has always worked. Just out of curiosity, did you test this with RC8 or a newer release?
  • Actually, the unlicensed messages are intentional. Evaluation messages only appear when you have no SRPLicense.dll at all. Unlicensed messages are functionally the same as evaluation messages. You should still be able to use the controls either way.
  • Hi Don,

No, just my confusion that Kevin has cleared up :). We were just trying to set some properties of the Schedule control natively in Form Designer and they were just being ignored. However I've just found out that they can be manipulated programmitically. This was in both in RC8 and RC16. Haven't tried RC17 yet.

Cheers, M@
  • It won't work in RC17 either. I failed to mark most of the properties in this control as non-browsable. That control is just far too complex to setup in the properties window.
  • Just an FYI to those who are aware that our latest downloadable control is technically a release candidate version, we have officially released v4.0 of the SRP Controls. As a reminder, regardless of which product portal you go to, the same OCX file (SRPControls.ocx) will download. Your license will determine which controls you can use without getting the evaluation message.

In an upcoming blog article we will identify some of the new features that we think you'll find most interesting.
  • What are the srp ocx files now that only have to be registered?
    SRPControls.ocx & SRPCore.ocx ?
  • Barry,

No, just SRPControls.ocx. That is the main point of our There Can Be Only One blog article from a few months ago.

If you happen to use the SRP Editor then you will also need to register SRPUtil.ocx. But SRPUtil.ocx is never used within an application and will never be deployed to a client's system (unless you also install the SRP Editor as a part of your support practice.)