Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Resizing/compressing tables

Hola all,

A client of mine has a quandary. They have a bunch of tables that have data more than 20 years old. The data is archive-able, and I have written a generic utility to do just that that can be run while the system is in use. Some of these tables are in desperate need of compressing/resizing/remaking even without the archiving; the archive process will just leave them "flabbier." Some of the OV portions are over 12GB in size now. One was in such bad shape that any access to the table stopped the LH service.

Is there any way to do a resize or compress while the system is being used? Scheduling "down time" to do anything like that is like pulling teeth. Even if we get the down time, can any of it be started programagically, without manual intervention?

I know the ultimate solution would be to copy off the "keeper" records and rename the table or monkey with the media map, but that would likely be even more troublesome to the client.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Comments

• If you can take the table offline by detaching it from the database manager to ensure no one accesses it while the resize occurs, you could perform the resize maintenance while the system is in use.

Another option would be to replace the table with a new, presized empty table, and then copy the records from the old table into it but this would mean that you could take the table offline for a short period of time and the system would run properly while you transfer the records from the old badly sized table into the new properly sized table.

There isn't a solution I've heard of to resize a table while it's being continually accessed.
  • Thanks Jared.

Are you familiar with the inner workings of the Fix_LH utility? Does it do a record copy or some sort of OSBwrite or ?
  • Does anyone happen to have the docs for how to use RTI_REMAKETABLE? All we have here is the object code.

Thanks in advance!
  • Rev Wiki shows a posts - do a search and see if you can find later info.
    https://revelation.wiki/doku.php?id=commentary:forums_works:eea9c73437085848baf8d94ae2ef9450&s[]=rti&s[]=remaketable

TableName = "CUSTOMERS"
    tableParams = "" ; * framesize:@fm:threshold:@fm:avgsize:@fm:reccounte
    call RTI_RemakeTable(TableName, tableParams)

But, tool tips shows extra params

• Thanks Barry!