Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Heads up to 9.4 / SRP Editor problems

Scenario:
OI 9.4 (final release)
SRP current SRPControls.ocx and latest editor

basic dumb program - compiles with the message in your editor status space "EMMO*STPROC**prog saved but compiled with errors"

Then your little spinning will sends the Editor session into Not Responding.

After a couple of reboots, I waited it out and it comes back after some 2 minutes - and this time the message ends that the compilation was successful.

So, then I try and use the OI editor which claps out with out of memory errors (which is a nonsense, and I've sent that to Rev to look at). I am using 30% memory.

Then nuking the whole environment, start up OI again, start the SRP editor - same scenario.
I wait the 2 mins -
I then try to nuke the editor by hitting the red X, on the RHS corner - won't work
I then kill the source and that does nuke itself.
However, your editor session can't die, so I blow OI and give up for another day.

What I see is that your editor is not catching a VNAV error and looping on itself - it certainly is not reporting the variable in error nor the line in error.

But as a counter to that, and I've sent it to Jared, their editor is not returning the line where the VNAV has occurred, so heaven knows who's stuffing whom about.

As I said, heads up..I'm looking to an old environ now to continue working.

Comments

• Martin,

Just for clarity, when you test in Revelation's editor, which one are you specifically using: 1.) the original System Editor, 2.) the Editor+, or 3.) the Editor++?

Also, I know we have had to work with snippets of your code in the past to resolve similar problems. At the moment, this problem certainly seems to run deep (since it affects Rev's editor as well), but if you have anything that is compact and easy to send us we will certainly take a look.

Thanks.
  • the problem appears to be your pre-compiler

i have added a line of code x<-1> = 20

where x has not yet been defined
    the SRP editor goes down into meltdown
    i wait the 2.5 minutes and the compiler comes back
    recompile and i get the OI memory error

so, I exit the SRP editor, invoice editor ++ -
    open the sourec that i just closed in SRP
    the source code does not display, it does not complain that the record is not there
    no other code shows itself either

i then nuke (you have to Task Manager nuke) the OI process
    i then invoke SRP editor again, same process - same problem

I restart again, use the OI++ editor and all's good

i can only surmise that you've a problem
  • morning - happily trying this out here, and after another timeout - this little beauty looking at me

again after the 2.5 min staring competition, I find:

ENG0805: SRP_EDITOR_EVENTS, line 240. Function HtmlHelpA does not exist in dynamic library HHCTRL.ocx

hoping this is it!!!!!!!
  • Martin,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. As you may recall, our servers were down for maintenance. Actually, we relocated our servers, moved our services and data stores onto new hardware, and then started up everything under new IPs. So a lot was done over the last few days. Unfortunately, a few posts in the interim got lost in the shuffle, including your last two on this issue. We have reconstructed them as best as possible but there might be some content which was lost.

I will review your comments and reply back shortly.
  • Martin,

I am still looking into the crash in SRP_EDITOR_EVENTS, line 240, but I created the following stored procedure and had no problems compiling it in the SRP Editor:
    Subroutine Martin(Void) x<-1> = 20 Return
    Granted, it should have flagged the potential VNAV, but that is a different problem which we have already commented on in other threads.
  • Morning - this is killing me

i OI session goes from 53,920K as displayed on the windows task manager to 1,734,428 and 3 minutes later this returns with a compilation successful

it's the SRP editor as each of the generic OI editors eat this is the blink of an eye.
    So, what do you want to know from me to fix this -
    here's the code your editor dies in.

COMPILE FUNCTION SRP_ERROR(VOID)

A = 20
    ARC<-1> = 4

DEBUG
  • Martin,

Again, thank you for the source code. I copied it, verbatim, into my OI 9.4 / SRP Editor 2.6.1 system and it compiles immediately.

Therefore this puts us into a difficult spot. I do not doubt your experience. However, this is not the first time you have had issues with our editor that no one else has reported nor have we been able to replicate. My only reasonable conclusion is that your OpenInsight system is somehow different in a way that creates these problems. Can you think of anything that might be different with your system? Do you have UTF-8 turned on?

As I have offered to other customers, if you are willing to ship me your system I would be more than happy to troubleshoot this until we find a resolution.
  • I've taken a pristine 9.4 off the OI site. installed srp_editor 2.6.1 and voila - locks.

This is on the same machine where i have an 8.0.7 system with the same editor - and it's perfect.

Where can I grab a lesser version of the editor prior to 2.6.1 to install, as this is now running into productive developer time for me?

Happy to try any other combinations that you wish

Cheers
  • Martin,

As you may recall, since you have asked us in the past, we do not archive older versions. Unless someone on staff has an older installer lying around I cannot provide you with anything.

I am not surprised that you experienced the same problem with a pristine copy of OI. When we were able to successfully compile with the system you sent us, that told me the problem lies outside of OI and perhaps with your computer. This is why I want to schedule a remote session (see my private email for an update on this).

By the way, when you wrote "locks", did you mean it completely locks up or that it takes a few minutes and then it finally completes?
  • by locks I mean that once the editor returns after a few minutes,
    Anything you do nukes OI out with an out of memory problem. SO i have to use the task manager to get rid of the OI engine.

i cannot agree that it's something outside of OI, my 8.0.7 session on the same physical computer hums and has been perfect for all the time i've had it installed.

hopefully we can do a remote session when next you guys are back to work.