Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

REV LOADREC

I have a form that uses the timer event to select on a table every 30 seconds for new records. After the list of new records is selected it saves a PDF for each record.

The process seems to be working good, except for a crash which can happen once a day or sometimes not at all for a month. If I have the engine visible I get a Fatal Runtime Error SYS1000: Error loading program "REV_LOADREC"

Is there anything I can do to either stop this from happening or capture it and deal with some sort of error handling?

Comments

• Bryan,

Most of the time I have received a REV_LOADREC error is generally related to some sort of network outage or hiccup. For example, one client would receive this sporadically and we determined it was due to the domain server refreshing the shared drives. Other times, it has been caused by switch or cable which is going bad.
  • Thanks Paul. Is there anything I can do about this? It is happening on a machine that isn't really monitored so some times it can take a while to even know that it's an issue.
  • Bryan,

To elaborate on what Paul shared, REV_LOADREC is one of the core components within OpenInsight that is used to read data from system files, including stored procedures. So when REV_LOADREC itself is unable to be loaded onto the program stack that means there is a critical failure that almost always points to a network disconnect. However, it is also possible that OI is running so slowly that OI times out, which produces the same error.

Have you been able to detect if this program begins to run slower over time? You may want to check the memory in Task Manager for the OINSIGHT.exe process and see if it is growing. Those could help diagnose if this is a problem that is building within OpenInsight versus it being an external problem. If it is external, then this is not much you can do to prevent the problem. Network disconnects happen for whatever reason, but when they do then OpenInsight is forced into an unrecoverable situation. This is one of the problems of not being truly client-server.

One solution we have developed in-house is creating an external monitoring system. It is a stand-alone app that allows OpenInsight to ping it. This app can be configured to restart OpenInsight if it does not get a ping after a specified gap in time.