Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Upgrading from 9.21 to latest OI version...

Hello,

Our last major upgrade was from 8.03 to 9.21; this was a large upgrade and involved a lot of testing; with that said; how smooth would you consider the Upgrade to the latest OI version compared to our initial major upgrade?

Trying to determine if the testing needs to be as involved as going from 8.03 to 9.21?

Thanks

Paulo

Comments

• I just wanted to add that Paulo's experience in upgrading is very different from our usual experience. It takes months of planning, documentation, and testing--all with copious amounts of digital paperwork. Thankfully, the next upgrade gap is not as wide as Paulo's previous update. Still, I wanted to give Paulo's question more context.

It seems what he is looking for is specific areas known to have changed in some significant way that will require more attention than others. What should he be on the lookout for and are there any known "gotchas"? I personally am not familiar enough with the differences between 9.21 and 9.3x or even the upcoming 9.4 to give him adequate guidance.
  • Paulo,

Moving from 9.2.1 to 9.3.2 will have far less impact than your move from 8.0.8 to 9.2.1. I would also add that the move is worthwhile if you have the opportunity to implement this. We have a few clients that made the exact same jump without any issues.

There are the normal considerations that need to be taken into consideration. Primarily you will want to make sure you have backups of your CFG_xxxx records in SYSENV, especially CFG_EVENTS, CFG_OIPI, and CFG_IDX_SETS. Also, you should plan to install the ClientSetup.exe for 9.3.2. There are a couple of optional components that rely on .NET 4. Therefore if you want everything then it will be helpful if all workstations already have .NET 4 installed. The ClientSetup.exe will prompt to install it for you, but I am assuming this is being installed silently or through group policy.
  • Don,

Thanks for the feedback; I do remember during the upgrade from 8.03 to 9.21 I had to backup and restore some parts of the SYSENV records; so I will keep this in mind.

I just verified that company has and is installing .NET FW 4 on all XP / WIN 7 machines by default so that should not be an issue.

Thanks

Paulo