Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Maximum Rows

I have an OI edit table, which I am trying to populate with a rather large amount of data, 500,000 rows.
It crashes before getting there.
Even 50,000 rows (3mb) fails to populate, with the table being empty (but I could probably do with a reboot).

I have performed basic tests to see what the SRP edit table handles, and it seems it can handle this.
Before I commit to code, could you advise if there is any logical or theoretical maximum.

If I may, does the Report Table have any limitations?

Colin

Comments

• There is no logical maximum. In fact, the SRP EditTable works very hard to be memory efficient. So, there's a very good chance a bug is getting triggered. In the scenario you described, are you populating with live data or does this bug happen even with dummy data (such as placing the same string in every cell)?
  • Kevin,

If I read Colin correctly, he is NOT having any problems with the SRP EditTable...just the opposite. He just wants some assurance that if he commits himself to using the SRP EditTable in this situation that there will not be any known roadblocks (by way of memory limitations) down the road. I think you have answered him.

What about the SRP ReportTable? That was another question he had.

Colin,

I am a bit surprised that you struggled with the OI edit table control. We saw a demo at the Revelation Conference where a LOT of rows were thrown into the OI edit table.
  • Thanks, yes I was referring to the OI control.

I will now move to the SRP control, although for what I want, the Report Table may be a better choice, if it too is fast.

I am using OI 8.x, so this may be the cause.
    I suspect OI9 has improved in this area, but at present we are not in a situation where we can upgrade.

Colin
  • I understand now. The SRP ReportTable is ideal if you are just displaying information that user will not edit. In fact, the SRP ReportTable does not allow editing. It's best suited for reporting, hence the name.

Both controls are fast, though SRP ReportTable can be a little faster when it comes to sorting. The SRP EditTable doesn't sort automatically. You have to read the LIST or ARRAY property, sort it, and then put it back in.