Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

ShowBalloonTooltip issue

Hi

I have had this problem for a while, I think I reported it before, but it is becoming a problem.
I display the tooltip when clicking on a cell, in this case the cell has a N in it, to denote that notes exist and the tooltip reads and displays these notes.

Sometimes the tooltip displays the previous tool tip content.
The title changes, but the content does not.

I have tried the Hide first before the Show just in case that makes a difference.
Debugging shows the valid text is being passed, but still displays the wrong data.
It seems it is being cached somehow.

I am using 3.2.0 RC7 but the issue has been around for about a year.
It is coming to crunch time, so I am being pressured to change to an OI dialog box to replicate the same idea, but it would be preferable to have it sorted within SRP.

Any ideas.

Colin

Comments

• Colin,

We'll have a look at this can let you know what to expect ASAP. However, before resorting to a dialog box, why not incorporate the SRP Popup control instead?
  • On the system in front of me at the moment using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and SRP Edittable 3.0.0 I don't get the issue.

This code
    Config = null$ thisCol = Field(param1, ';', 1, 1) thisrow = Field(param1, ';', 2, 1) Convert ';' to @fm in param1 Config = 'This Col - ':Thiscol:' This row - ':thisrow ; // body of tooltip Config<2> = 'This Col - ':Thiscol:' This row - ':thisrow ; // title of tooltip Config<3> = 1 Config<4> = 3000 rv = Send_Message(Ctrlentid, "OLE.ShowBalloonTooltip", param1, Config) works every time.

Now that probably doesn't help you Colin but it may spark something for Kevin?
    I will test on some other combinations of windows and controls later and see if my results differ.
  • What a good idea, I have never used the SRPopup, so seems like the perfect time to start.
    It might even be a better solution for what I am aiming at doing here.
  • Colin,

We've been using the SRP Popup to replace modal and modeless dialogs for a while. Our early uses looked like a glorified tooltip:

But later when Microsoft unveiled the Modern (aka Metro) UI we wanted to try and embrace it while at the same time provide more functionality within our FrameWorks product. So now the context help appears like this:

We then implemented our own required controls alert:

Finally, we replaced the validation error dialog with this:

Since the SRP Popup is displayed in a modeless manner, these displays are not intrusive. Thus, with the required control alert the user can freely navigate. With the validation error alert the user has to fix the data entry but does not have to dismiss the message first.
  • I would second that suggestion and I suspect once you get started on the popup, like many of the other controls, the ideas and potential uses for it will start to flow. Add to that, the fact you can throw on your own icons and or combine it with the DirectConnect control and before you know it, you'll have popups popping up everywhere.
  • ...so instead of The Trouble with Tribbles you'll have The Problem with Popups. :-P