Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

oipi Set_Printer

Should I be able to call a subroutine that uses oipi set_printer to create a report to a pdf file.
Debug shows it executing the code but pdf file is not produced.
Testing via Postman.
OK when run from the application. using same routine.

Comments

• Just had a thought, it is probably the path, it would still be local, it should be weby one.
  • Barry - Nope. This won't work because OIPI requires event context (i.e., the Presentation Server to be running). You have two choices. The first option is to run OI as a desktop app on the web server and create a mechanism where the web service oengine does a pass off to the desktop OI (and then it waits for the desktop OI to create the PDF document). The second option is to convert over to the BRW which happily runs without the Presentation Server.

If you don't need the PDF document to be returned immediately, you can always return a response that tells the visitor that the report will appear in an email shortly (or a link to pull up the report). This is how PayPal does it.
  • Oh dear, that is not what I wanted to hear.
    OIPI report is too complicated for me to learn BRW and rewrite in the short time I have.

1. How do I ensure that OI gets loaded on the web server as minimised as possible.
    2. What is the best method to do the 'create a mechanism where the web service oengine does a pass off to the desktop OI (and then it waits for the desktop OI to create the PDF document)'?
    3. so the Desktop OI would be creating to the local path, but the api service would be returning the web virtual path for the Web app to retrieve and display?
  • Barry - I saw you posted on the Revelation forum as well. I'll respond here since this is where you posted first. :)

1. I think Bob Carten has suggested using code to launch OI on-the-fly using the RTI_TASKMANAGER. This will eliminate the need to load OI automatically. You can also launch OpenInsight as a Windows Service. This article might be helpful. There are third-party utilities that you can install and then configure to run one or more applications as a service.
    2. There isn't a "best method" since each application has different requirements. We use our own technology to send direct requests to the running OI. Others create a request in the form of a record written to a shared table or a text file in an OS folder that the OI application monitors. The information in the request can specify the name of the PDF file and this is what OI uses. Then web service engine can loop until the file is generated in the designated folder.
    3. Normally the web service would read the PDF file and return the data as binary. You would not need to worry about virtual paths.
  • The requests for the PDF creating (and emailing also) whould only happen say 5 times a day at the most.
    But of course in a web environment things need to happen fast.
    Would it be faster to load openinsight as a service and sent RTI_TASKMANAGER requests to it, as opposed to RTI_TASK_SUBMIT loading openinsight each time.
    If Openinsight is running as a service, would you still only have to do RTI_TASK_SUBMIT with, I assume '0 Add task to the queue'
  • I'm not overly familiar with the RTI_TASKMANGER tool, but I believe you are always launching OpenInsight. I don't think you can use this to talk to an already running OpenInsight. If OpenInsight is already running, it is running in a loop and checking for some kind of flag that you set (i.e., database record or OS file) before it launches. If the web server is fast enough, using the RTI_TASKMANAGER might be okay.

We decided to use our SRP DirectConnect control on an OI form that gets immediately notified by the web API engine via a special method. This triggers an event in OI to run the report.
  • Don,

Thank you.

Just running RTI_TASK_SUBMIT as is would be must simpler (Less to remember in the golive server setup).
    Yes, that's right, still not live, the web developer is 12 months behind.
  • "..Normally the web service would read the PDF file and return the data as binary."

How would I do that using the HTTP_ functions at my disposal.
    Do I assume base64 encoding, then, how do I return it in the body, is there a header setting or the web developer just needs to know it is a field that need unencode it.
  • Barry - Instead of returning text-based content (like JSON or anything else), just read the PDF file and pass this into the Body argument of the SetResponseBody service. You should set the IsBinary argument to "1" and the ContentType argument to "application\pdf". (Actually, if you leave the ContentType argument empty, it will set it for you since it knows how to identify PDF content.)
  • Awesome, thanks
    Definitely would not have worked that out.
  • I have taskmanager and the creation of the PDF all working.!!!

With the SetResponseBody:

If I leave out the ContentType the content type shows as Content-Type →text/html
    and the body contains what would appear to be only binary data(which is good)
    If I put ContentType as application/pdf (or application\pdf) the Postman testing is wanting me to save it and then shows PDF saved in the body only.

If I tell the Web guy that the content is a pdf decoded base64 binary, the value in the content-type shouldn't matter should it. He is not a parameter driven person he is hardcode and would not be looking at the content-type, just processing as he expects it to be returned
  • I also left in:

HTTP_Services("SetResponseHeaderField", 'pathtopdfdoc',PathToPdfDoc)
  • edited March 2018
    That is odd. "text/html" is the default when no other type can be identified or if no other type has already been set. Here is the relevant code from the GetResponse service:

ContentType = HTTP_Services('GetResponseHeaderField', 'Content-Type') If Len(ContentType) else Begin Case Case Body[1, 1] EQ '{' ContentType = 'application/hal+json' Case Body[1, 4] EQ '%PDF' ContentType = 'application/pdf' Case Otherwise$ ContentType = 'text/html' End Case HTTP_Services('SetResponseHeaderField', 'Content-Type', ContentType) end

I would expect Postman to try and download the file because it doesn't have a PDF viewer built-in. If you did the same thing with an image file, Postman would display it.
  • this on the first line of the header:
    <1u�](n?­歊��jׅQtӎ4�p4�}�
  • I just text edit the PDF file and saw the %PDF, do I leave out the decode and just send the record?
  • What header?
  • Sorry, too many things at once, I meant body
  • If you encoded the data then it is no longer binary. This is why the GetResponse service didn't recognize the PDF.

As to what you should do, that depends on you and how this is supposed to work. If you intend to display the PDF directly in the browser after the request is made, then do not encode it. If this needs to be used by something else that knows how to decode, then leave it as is. However, in that case, the Content-Type is properly "text/html".
  • If I needed to send the virtual path in the body with the title(not sure of the buzzword) being pathtopdfdoc, how do I do that.
  • I'm sorry for not giving you a direct answer, but I am 99.9% convinced that what you are asking for is a non-HTTP and non-RESTful solution. Give me a use case for this and I'll let you know what I think is the best solution. Also, what is the HTTP Method and URL you are using to produce the PDF in the first place?
  • i want to be able to return this in the body as JSON

http://localhost/PARSONS_Documents/16333 PHONE QUOTE PQ ORTHODOX BURIAL-2.PDF

looking like this:

"pathtopdfdoc": "http://localhost/PARSONS_Documents/16333 PHONE QUOTE PQ ORTHODOX BURIAL-2.PDF"

I use task_manager to call and run an OI task that creates the PDF and it returns the filename and I assemble the virtual path.
    It may not be ReSTful, but that has gone out the window with this Web developer.

A similar thing is already done for me when I calling HTTP_Resource_Services
    where I have a symbolic "photo_file_paths" that produces this, which works for the Web developer.

"photo_file_paths": [
    "http://localhost/StockPhotos/1010 Tweed.png"
    ],

• I don't think I can help you. You are treating a web server as a glorified file server, which is contrary to how the web is supposed to work. There are many technical ways to do what you are intending to do but if you don't intend to implement a RESTful solution then none of them are any better than any other. Just go with what you know and make it work.
  • How should it be done then?
  • To properly answer that question requires a bit of understanding of how the web (i.e., HTTP/REST) views resources. I've known all along that your application makes a rather direct relationship between the URL (i.e., the resource identifier) and the database. This is somewhat expected with an OI-based web application. However, a resource is meant to be more abstract than a database row. Space does not permit me to explore this very deeply, but I reviewed this at the last conference.

At any rate, your URL should not attempt to identify a file name (e.g., "filename.pdf"). The URL should have a very simple structure that is meaningful to the business context. This is referred to as a "Semantic URL". That URL then identifies the abstract resource on the service. The format of that resource (e.g., PDF, HTML, JSON, etc.) is arbitrary and identified through the headers, like Accept and Content-Type.

Without being overly familiar with the way this PDF resource is being utilized, I might have suggested this URL:

GET http://localhost/PARSONS/Quotes/16333

You would then have a Quotes API that checks for the format being requested and then returns the content in the format you allow for. Thus, if you wanted to return the same information but in a different format, you have that option and you don't have to change the URL at all.
  • The task_manager call is being done thru a 'quote' api similiar tothat.
    I do understand what you are saying, just return the pdf record in body with application/pdf.

thank you

Deployed to test server, which is a terminal server that has the oi application.
    The call to rti_task_submit , testing via Postman, just sits there, task manager show oengine as 40% and Openinsight as 0%. Although not seing engine on the task bar as I was on the PC.
    I know rti_task_submit is getting run, because it initially returned error re systasks not being attached.

I will have to try and see if Bob will respond to my posts. And to think I was so excited it was all working.
  • Barry - BTW, there is nothing wrong with storing the PDF file in a dedicated folder on the server once it has been generated. Your API code can first see if the PDF file exists before it makes the request to OI. That can help with efficiency. Of course, this assumes that the PDF content is current and you trust it.

Going back to your original question about using a "PathToDPFDoc" setting, hopefully you realize this is unnecessary because the URL *is* your path.