Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

OCX Won't Register Properly?

At least I think that's the issue...

We purchased the Standard OLE suite to use the Picture control. Before purchasing, I registered the SRPControls.ocx on my workstation to test it, and everything worked beautifully, aside from the license dialog.

Now I'm trying to get the Picture control to work for my users. The .ocx appears to register fine on their workstations, but the Picture control does not function -- the shape of the control is there, but it will not populate images. (Still works fine for me...)

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that a separate issue I'm having may be the explanation:

The control works for me but it still pops up a license dialog, even though I'm using the new license dll. But when I try to register the license dll on my users' workstations, I get an error. And when I open screens that use the picture control on their workstations, I do NOT get a license dialog.

Is the picture control working for me because it still sees an old license registered on my workstation (so it works, but alerts me), but it won't work at all for my users because there is no registered license -- even an outdated one?

Comments

• Adam - I'm going to guess that when you run the OI form with the Picture control, the space where the control resides is white. If so, that implies the control did not register properly.

9 times out of 10 the reason a control doesn't register properly is due to UAC. Make sure you run the command prompt using the "Run as administrator" option and then register the control. If you still do not have any joy with this please respond here with as much relevant detail as possible.

As to the license dialog message that implies your license is not valid or not being seen. Where did you put the SRPLicense.dll? Make sure this is in the OI folder. If you have it there, then please open the engine and click on the EngineInfo button. Send the serial number to support@srpcs.com and we'll confirm that your serial number is supported by the license.
  • Thanks for the reply, Don!

OCX Registry Issue
    Yes, I am running the command prompt as administrator, and the .ocx claims that it successfully registers (see attached image).
    Still seeing a white box for all users, except myself.

These are 64-bit machines I'm trying to register on. Is that part of my problem?

License Issue
    Yes, the license lives with our OI executable. I'll send our SN to your support team.
  • Adam - what is the path you put the OCX file into?
  • Fixed it!

The problem was (somewhat predictably) entirely on my end.

I hadn't noticed that the SRPControls.ocx classes have ProgID's of SRP.ControlName.1.

My "test" form was using SRPUTIL.ControlName.1.

My workstation is the only one with the SRPUtil.ocx registered, so it was working for me -- but with a license popup -- and not working for anyone else.

I changed the OLE Control Class on the picture control in my form to the right namespace (SRP vs. SRPUtil), and now everything works beautifully.

Thanks, Don!
  • Adam - LOL. That is too funny. I don't think I've seen that before but it perfectly explains both problems. Yes, SRPUtil.ocx is only for the SRP Editor, although it has all of the same controls that SRPControls.ocx has. We did this to make it easier to license the SRP Editor for people who do not want our controls for OI application development. Good job figuring it out.