Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

SRP_JSON objects within an array

First off, excuse any non JSON(or screwed up) terminology.
This is related to http frameworks http_json_services(in case anyone has made changes to do this)

I have being returned in a json format, amv array fields.
eg:
"item_code": [
"0251",
"1001"
],
"item_description": [
"Professional Service Fee",
"Coffin Allowance"
],
"item_price": [
],
"item_qty": [
]

The web developer requires them to be returned as such - 'quoteitems' will be the AMV name

"quoteitems": [
{
"item_code": "0251",
"item_description": "Professional Service Fee",
"item_price": 2900,
"item_qty": 1
},
{
"item_code": "1001",
"item_description": "Coffin Allowance",
"item_price": 480,
"item_qty": 1
},
]

What srp_json commands and parameters do I need to be able to do this?

Comments

• The rest of the world doesn't appreciate associate arrays like the PICK world does. Here's the code to build your sample. Hopefully it points you in the right direction:

// Create the top level object itself, which will contain the array If SRP_JSON(hRoot, "NEW") then // Create the array of quotes If SRP_JSON(hArray, "NEW", "ARRAY") then // Add the first item If SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "NEW") // Set the fields on this quote SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "SETVALUE", "item_code", "0251", "STRING") SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "SETVALUE", "item_description", "Professional Service Fee", "STRING") SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "SETVALUE", "item_price", 2900, "NUMBER") SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "SETVALUE", "item_qty", 1, "NUMBER") // Add this single quote to the array we created above SRP_JSON(hArray, "ADD", hSingleQuote) // All done with this single quote SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "RELEASE") end // Add the second item If SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "NEW") // Set the fields on this quote SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "SETVALUE", "item_code", "1001", "STRING") SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "SETVALUE", "item_description", "Coffin Allowance", "STRING") SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "SETVALUE", "item_price", 480, "NUMBER") SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "SETVALUE", "item_qty", 1, "NUMBER") // Add this single quote to the array we created above SRP_JSON(hArray, "ADD", hSingleQuote) // All done with this single quote SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "RELEASE") end // Add this array to the root as a field named "quoteitem" SRP_JSON(hRoot, "SET", "quoteitem", hArray) // All done with the array SRP_JSON(hArray, "RELEASE") end // Get the JSON JSON = SRP_JSON(hRoot, "STRINGIFY") // All done with the root object SRP_JSON(hRoot, "RELEASE") end
  • Thank you Kevin
  • OK, just seeing how far I can go with this.

How would you use SRP_JSON to extract what was created from this output.
  • edited September 2016
    Here's how I would parse this json sample back into a delimited list. This assumes the json text is in a variable called JSON:

// Parse the JSON. The result will be "" if successful or an error if not Result = SRP_JSON(hRoot, "PARSE", JSON) Succeeded = Result EQ "" If Succeeded then // Get the array hArray = SRP_JSON(hRoot, "GET", "quoteitem") If hArray then // Let's loop through the array Quotes = "" NumItems = SRP_JSON(hArray, "GETCOUNT") For i = 1 to NumItems // Get the current quote hSingleQuote = SRP_JSON(hArray, "GET", i) If hSingleQuote then // Extract each field of the quote ItemCode = SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "GETVALUE", "item_code") ItemDesc = SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "GETVALUE", "item_description") ItemPrice = SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "GETVALUE", "item_price") ItemQty = SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "GETVALUE", "item_qty") // Add the data to our OI variable Quotes<-1> = ItemCode:@VM:ItemDesc:@VM:ItemPrice:@VM:ItemQty // All done with the this quote SRP_JSON(hSingleQuote, "RELEASE") end Next i // All done with the array SRP_JSON(hArray, "RELEASE") end // All done with the parsed JSON SRP_JSON(hRoot, "RELEASE") end
  • Thanks, but I would be looking for something a bit more generic. ie. dont know what the array names would be (could build from dict AMVs I guess), don't know what the field names would be, can that be dynamic or would I need to get those from the dict as well, even though all amv fields for the amv id may not be returned (what then).

Anyway, don't go to any trouble at the moment as I am still having problems with the first lot retro-fitting it into Don's amv processing in the http_json_service.
    Just seeing if I could do it while waiting for the client to consider paying Don to do this for me.
  • I realise that I could pay Don to do it and charge as if I did it, but this is a bit of a grey area with the client at the moment who don't see why they should be paying any more money for this.
  • Yes, you can examine an object's named members using the GETMEMBERS service. Anything you want to learn at runtime you can do using SRP_JSON.
  • Mmm, that definitely shows up me getting my head around the terminology.
  • What, you mean I have to learn stuff at my age LOL
  • Thanks, that looks VERY helpful
  • Barry - I've already had a go at this. The added code to HTTP_JSON_Services() to do the work. Let me know if you're interested - I'll pass it on.

Cheers, M@
  • Matt, I would be interested in seeing that, I have had a go at the "GET" and it is working, but it was a bit hit&miss so am a bit worried about my changes breaking something.
    Haven't looked at the POST yet, not that confident.
    My email is barry@bsbsoft.com.au

thank you
  • Matt,

I think the POST changed would need to be in http_resource_services
  • Ah right - I've only considered the GET at this stage too. POST is another beast altogether ;). Anyway, I've sent you what I've done FYI.

Cheers, M@
  • I am having trouble getting the members of an object array, probably because I don't fully understand the terminologies yet.

here is an extract of my json:

"quote_type_id": "PN ADULT NSNA", "quoteitems": [ { "item_code": "0251", "item_complimentary": false, "item_description": "Professional Service Fee", "item_ext_price": 2900, "item_group": "SERVICE EXPENSES", "item_gst_price": 2900, "item_optional": false, "item_prepaid": false, "item_qty": 1 }, { "item_code": "1020", "item_complimentary": false, "item_description": "Budget Coffin", "item_ext_price": 480, "item_group": "SERVICE EXPENSES", "item_gst_price": 480, "item_optional": false, "item_prepaid": false, "item_qty": 1 }, { "item_code": "0350", "item_complimentary": false, "item_description": "Mortuary Preparation for Viewing", "item_ext_price": 0, "item_group": "SERVICE EXPENSES", "item_gst_price": 350, "item_optional": false, "item_prepaid": false, "item_qty": 0 } ]

here is the existing relevant code from http_resource_services:

Body = HTTP_Services('DecodePercentString', Body) hBody=null$ ParseResponse = SRP_JSON(hBody, 'PARSE', Body) If Len(ParseResponse) EQ 0 then // Go through the column names in the JSON object and map the column values to the respective // field positions in the database row. Fields = Xlate('DICT.' : TableName, '%FIELDS%', '', 'X') NumColumns = SRP_JSON(hBody, 'GETCOUNT') ColumnNames = SRP_JSON(hBody, 'GETMEMBERS') For ColumnCnt = 1 to NumColumns ColumnName = ColumnNames<ColumnCnt> hColumn = SRP_JSON(hBody, 'GET', ColumnName) JSONType = SRP_JSON(hColumn, 'TYPE') *if columnname _eqc 'clergy_code' then debug Begin Case Case JSONType _EQC 'Array' // Count the number of members in the array then loop through to build the @VM value list. ColumnValue = '' NumValues = SRP_JSON(hColumn, 'GETCOUNT') ItemMembers=SRP_JSON(hColumn, 'GETMEMBERS') if len(ItemMembers) > 0 then //do object array stuff// end else For ValueCnt = 1 to NumValues ColumnValue := SRP_JSON(hBody, 'GETVALUE', ColumnName : '[' : ValueCnt : ']', '') : @VM Next ValueCnt ColumnValue[-1, 1] = '' GoSub Update_ItemRec end

I am trying to add the

ItemMembers=SRP_JSON(hColumn, 'GETMEMBERS')
    if len(ItemMembers) > 0 then
    //do object array stuff//

but getting nowhere.

Can anyone help me out here, I need to extract the fieldname and the value for each of the array's objects(hope that new found terminology is correct).

tia

-b
  • edited September 2016
    Well, here's my attempt ;). I think you'd need to obtain the whole AMv first, then update the ItemRec. It should work for both AMv sets and single MV fields.

Begin Case Case JSONType _EQC 'Array' // Count the number of members in the array then loop through to build the @VM value list. SaveColumnName = ColumnName AMvColumnNames = "" AMvColumnValues = "" NumRows = SRP_JSON(hColumn, 'GETCOUNT') For RowCnt = 1 to NumRows hRowValue = SRP_JSON( hColumn, 'GET', ColumnName: '[': RowCnt: ']') RowType = SRP_JSON( hRowValue, 'TYPE') If RowType _eqc "Object" then RowColumnNames = SRP_JSON( hRowValue, 'GETMEMBERS') end else RowColumnNames = ColumnName End NumRowColumns = dCount( RowColumnNames, @fm) For RowColumnCnt = 1 to NumRowColumns ColumnName = RowColumnNames< RowColumnCnt> Locate ColumnName in AMvColumnNames using @fm setting ColumnPos else AMvColumnNames< ColumnPos> = ColumnName End AMvColumnValues< ColumnPos, RowCnt> = SRP_JSON( hRowValue, 'GETVALUE', ColumnName) Next RowColumnCnt Next RowCnt NumAMvColumns = dCount( AMvColumnNames, @fm) For AMvColumnCnt = 1 to NumAMvColumns ColumnName = AMvColumnNames< AMvColumnCnt> ColumnValue = AMvColumnValues< AMvColumnCnt> Gosub Update_ItemRec Next AMvColumnCnt Transfer SaveColumnName to ColumnName

This is straight off the top of my head - I haven't copied it from anywhere or tested it, so UAYOR ;)

HTH, M@
  • Awsome. I will let you know the result of the testing.
  • Brilliant, it worked.
    Still cant work out how you are supposed to know to do that.
    But, hey it works and saved me headaches.
  • Cool! You get to use it before I do and saves me some testing ;)

Cheers, M@

• The web developer wants to POSTwith this array to clear the mv fields associated with the amv.
    “cars”:[]

How can I implement this generically.

• Is "cars" the name of an MV field or the name of an AMV group?
  • an amv group
  • The null array would at least indicate that this is multi valued - either an MV of values or an AMV of rows. It seems this would rely on you being able to identify 'cars' as an AMV and knowing up front all the fields in the AMV group - (ie not necessarily just the ones that have data). If there are no AMV fields for 'cars' then treat as an MV field.

You could interpret a null array as an instruction to clear all rows in an AMV group, or all values in an MV field (which is really just a special case of an AMV) - as opposed to the default of adding a blank row or value (which isn't particularly useful).

Does this help??
  • I wasn't sure what I would be 'seeing' after it has gone through the json routines stuff', I know it wont look like “cars”:[] , so what am I looking for.
  • "cars":[] would be parsed as an Array with zero members. You could code this as a special case to null out the whole AMV, or MV. So the above code could be extended to something like
    Begin Case Case JSONType _EQC 'Array' // Count the number of members in the array SaveColumnName = ColumnName AMvColumnNames = "" AMvColumnValues = "" NumRows = SRP_JSON(hColumn, 'GETCOUNT') If NumRows = 0 then * clear All rows/values Locate ColumnName in AMvGroupDef< 1> setting AMvGroupNum then * ColumnName is an AMv group. Get the fields names in this group AMvColumnNames = AMvGroupDef< 2, AMvGroupNum> Swap @SVM with @FM in AMvColumnNames end else * ColumnName is an MV field AMvColumnNames = ColumnName End AMvColumnValues = "" ;* Empty the field(s) end else * loop through to build the @VM value list For RowCnt = 1 to NumRows hRowValue = SRP_JSON( hColumn, 'GET', ColumnName: '[': RowCnt: ']') RowType = SRP_JSON( hRowValue, 'TYPE') If RowType _eqc "Object" then RowColumnNames = SRP_JSON( hRowValue, 'GETMEMBERS') end else RowColumnNames = ColumnName End NumRowColumns = dCount( RowColumnNames, @fm) For RowColumnCnt = 1 to NumRowColumns ColumnName = RowColumnNames< RowColumnCnt> Locate ColumnName in AMvColumnNames using @fm setting ColumnPos else AMvColumnNames< ColumnPos> = ColumnName End AMvColumnValues< ColumnPos, RowCnt> = SRP_JSON( hRowValue, 'GETVALUE', ColumnName) Next RowColumnCnt Next RowCnt End NumAMvColumns = dCount( AMvColumnNames, @fm) For AMvColumnCnt = 1 to NumAMvColumns ColumnName = AMvColumnNames< AMvColumnCnt> ColumnValue = AMvColumnValues< AMvColumnCnt> Gosub Update_ItemRec Next AMvColumnCnt Transfer SaveColumnName to ColumnName
    where AMvGroupDef is a structure that defines your AMv groups. AMvGroupDef< 1> is a list of group names (eg 'cars'), and AMvGroupDef< 2> is an aligned list of field names (SVM delimited) for each group.

HTH, M@
  • Barry - I am curious to see an example of your JSON from a GET method. Not the whole object, just the part related to this "cars" AMV.
  • Matt, thanks
    Don:
    "cars": [ { "cars_address": "17 Tarrawanna Avenue Corrimal", "cars_date": "25/08/2010", "cars_duration": "1", "cars_time": "03:00PM" }, { "cars_address": "the church", "cars_date": "25/08/2010", "cars_duration": "1", "cars_time": "04:00PM" } ],
  • Thanks for that. I wanted to make sure the format of the JSON was reasonable to expect "cars" : [] to clear the data. It is.
  • Matt,
    where AMvGroupDef is a structure that defines your AMv groups. AMvGroupDef< 1> is a list of group names (eg 'cars'), and AMvGroupDef< 2> is an aligned list of field names (SVM delimited) for each group.
    Do I have to build AMvGroupDef myself or do I just pull it from somewhere in %FIELD%, or do I utilize your GetMVGroupNames(I think it is yours) routine and use that to build the associated column names