Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Cell combos

I assume this probably applies to subclass combos as well but I have just noticed that the "Limit to List" and "Match Anywhere" flags are mutually exclusive.
If I have Limit to list set, I can search/autofill by any or even multiple columns and the results are indeed limited to only options available in the list. This is awesome for validation. (I don't have to do it).
If I have limit to list off or false and turn Match Anywhere on, I can search for matching strings anywhere in any column if I want and still find a result. Also awesome but then I have to validate myself if the user just types rather than selecting.
However, if I turn Limit to List back on to effectively perform the validation for me, I can no longer match anywhere, it seems because unless the entered characters are found at the beginning of a string, they are not considered part of the list.

Wondering if this is by design or a minor oversight?

Comments

• It is by design. Limit-to-List is not strictly a validation. It really means (and this is how combo boxes in Windows do it), "do not let the user type a single character that is not the next character of an item in the list." It's preemptive in its nature whereas validation is reactive. That's why it beeps when you try to type a letter. Match anywhere is not preemptive, so there's a conflict of intent happening here.

I'm not saying this is impossible to rectify or that I'm against the idea, but it would require a change in the underlying code that won't be a simple switch. Thus, I'm marking this as a nice-to-have feature, but I can't give you an ETA since I have a lot on my plate.
  • Thanks for the clarification Kevin.
    Makes sense.