Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

SRP Editor open speed in UTF8 mode

The editor opens twice as slow when OpenInsight is in UFT8 mode

For example -

my laptop is an i7 with 8GB ram running windows 8.1 pro and 512GB SSD

I just wiped by laptop and reinstalled - so this is like a new PC

OpenInsight 9.4
SRP Editor 2.6.2

If UTF8 mode is off, then the editor opens in 8 seconds

If UTF8 mode is on, then the editor opens 20 seconds

Any reason why it take longer in UTF8 mode?

Comments

• Any update on this?
  • G'day SRP Guys,

still waiting on a response to this post. In case you don't believe me I've posted two video's online - one where OI is running in UTF8 mode and one where the same OI is running in non-UTF8 mode.

utf8 mode video link

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=60E10B810D1951FA!9011&authkey=!AEvDtM6Ia6HpvdQ&a...

non utf8 mode video link
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=60E10B810D1951FA!9010&authkey=!ANF36VTda6au3NQ&a...

an answer, any answer would be appreciated.
  • My apologies for not responding. For some reason I wasn't getting notifications.

I use UTF8 mode every day with the SRP Editor. I have one that opens in about 3 seconds, even though it's auto-opening 20 entities at the time. I tested this in OI 8.0 .8 and 9.4.

Also, I'm not sure what I would be able to do. All I do is read the records and load the control. The code doesn't really change all that much with UTF8 mode on.

I guess I'm wondering if there is a special precondition I'm overlooking.
  • Curious - we're also using SRP Editor constantly in UTF8 mode and don't notice a lag as long as that. Nor do we see 'Not responding' in the Application Manager title.
  • M@,

We've taken the discussion offline to avoid needless chatter on this board. During our offline discussion we think we may have identified the critical element: the UTF-8 application must have a lot of stored procedures (e.g., in the thousands). The SRP Editor does query OI for this list so it can be used for the auto-complete feature. I suspect (but have not yet confirmed), that this is where the bottle-neck is occurring.
  • To all watching this thread...

We've been able to add some optimization into the SRP Editor so the UTF-8 issue is no longer causes massive lag when there are thousands of stored procedures. David was able to test this on different machines and all results were comparable to non-UTF-8 speeds (or reasonably close.)

We'll make sure this is added to the next official release of the SRP Editor. No date has been set for this, but it will be soon.
  • Big thanks to SRP for this. The speed boost makes a huge difference for our team, who basically live in the SRP editor 8 - 10 hours a day.