Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

cellimage limits

Was it a little ambitious of me to try and add approximately 300 photos to an edittable?
I was trying to provide a means for the client to rectify the Picture Control rotation issue by displaying thumbnails of all the images within an edittable with a view to allowing them to select via a checkbox or something and click a rotate left or right button.

The theory being that may eliminate windows versioning issues and make it easier for the users to resolve the issue en masse.

When I try it though, not all images load and subsequent seemingly unrelated events, including compiling in the srp editor, lead to "out of memory" issues and OI crashes.

For now I'll get the client to resolve via some other means but it would be good to know if there are expected limitations.

Comments

• There are always limitations, but I'm not sure what you are describing is an expected one. If, however, you are hitting some memory limits I would not be surprised if you experienced unusual problems.

We have customers that use the SRP EditTable as a large thumbnail viewer and picker. I don't know the typical number of images they load but I believe it would in the hundreds. Thus, your situation would require more information for us to troubleshoot.
  • How big are the images? Every single pixel has to be loaded into memory. One of the test images you sent to me was 1920x2560. Even though the image was only 1MB, once loaded, the image requires 32 bits per pixel. (1920 * 2560 * 32) / 8 = ~20MB. 300 images at that size is almost 6GB. But that's assuming your images are this large or larger. Just food for thought.
  • Same group of images so yes, they could be that size. They could be any size. I'll look at resizing before loading and see what happens.
    Thanks for the "32 bits per pixel" nugget. Don't mind limitations once I've got my head around how they're calculated and with that little bit of info I'd struggle to refer to this one as a "limitation".