Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Show truncated view - full data

Is there a way of showing that the data in an editline is a truncated view with someway of hover or click to show the extended view. i.e. the data is longer than the size of the editline and need to see the data in full.
Also show (say)'...' at the end of the data to show that there is more in an expanded view.

Comments

• You could use the WM_SETCURSOR Windows API message to trap mouse movement over the editline and then write your own logic to function as a "hover/tooltip" via the WINMSG event. We've written some similar features using this technique. I would recommend using the SRP Popup control to display the data in the "full view" since it is easy to size and position where you want on the desktop.

Editlines do not support the ability to display an ellipsis when the data is longer than the control width. This is something only a static control can do. The SRP EditTable supports this display in a cell, but only when the cell is not in edit mode. This is a bit of smoke and mirrors as the cells are always static but when you go into edit mode we place in you an edit control that we dynamically create.
  • Thanks.
    I was hoping an srp subclass would do it.
    I will test out your suggestion.
  • How do I calculate the bottom left corner position of an editline that is on a mdichild screen and also on a dialog_box.
  • >>and also on a dialog_box
    and also for when on a dialog_box
  • My recommendation is that you study the logic in the Popup_Month stored procedure that ships with OpenInsight. It is designed to place a dialog box under the current editline control. This should give you enough technical information to guide you in your effort.