Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

RevG files

edited August 2017 in OpenInsight
I know with CTO and all, accessing RevG files should be a piece of cake. Do I need to do something with the ROSMEDIA map on the target RevG directory in order to make it accessible from OI?

I get to convert a RevG system.. Yay! Lol

Thanks!

Comments

• Actually...I don't think Rev/G is supported out of the box with CTO. I don't recall if OI has the ability to attach ROS files. Do you have a reference to documentation that says otherwise? It's been too long so I might be mistaken.
  • The online help in OI references several system BFS's, including RTP57, 51 (ROS files) and 59 (ROS/LNK). I thought that ROSMEDIA.MAP is what used to be the RevG media map. I'm just not sure how to attach the RevG files.

From the Database Manager, Create Volume Pointers, the Type dropdown allows RTP57 or RTP50 (Memory Resident). Not sure how to assign a type of RTP51 or 59.
  • From the Database Manager, Create Volume Pointers, the Type dropdown allows RTP57 or RTP50 (Memory Resident). Not sure how to assign a type of RTP51 or 59.
    Yep, that's what I saw and why I questioned whether ROS files can be attached.

Are you converting a Rev/G system to OI or to CTO/ARev32...because it does appear you can pick Rev/G files from the Set Volume tool in ARev32.
  • Eureka! I think this will do it. I knew there was Some way to accomplish this.

Strange that there's not a good way to do it directly from OI. I guess this is (yet) another reason to keep an Arev32 module.

Gracias, Senor!
  • Hi Don,

Well the plot thickens (again).

I have 5 RevG volumes that I need to access from Arev32. I was able to Set Volume to 4 of them with no problem. The main Rev volume that contains Rev.exe (the equivalent of Revboot) I get a msg: "FS130 Code 18 has not been implemented in the filing system RTP50".

Any idea why it's erroring out?

Thanks a bunch!

Michael
  • Nevermind.. I got it.. it was the name I was giving the volume.

We're good to go!
  • Well.. we made some progress..lol

I was able to SetVolume to the RevG volumes, and all the RevG tables show if I do a Listmedia. Setalias worked as well; but when I tried to List a table I got "SYS1000: Error loading program RTP52A". I believe that's the RevG LNK file BFS?

Any ideas as to why it might die?

Thanks!
  • You've ventured out in the deep ocean where I have not visited before. I might be able to discern more if I was troubleshooting this myself, but based on your notes it seems that the critical BFS routine is missing. Whether that is a bug (i.e., it exists but didn't get shipped), or whether it is expected (i.e., there really is no official support for ROS files), is unknown to me at this point.
  • Thanks Don.. Well this has been a runaround.. Turns out that Arev32 was never meant to access RevG files; the BFS was left out intentionally despite all the SetVolume stuff in Arev32.

I did find a copy of RTP52A in a copy of Arev 3.12. Copied the object code into Sysobj. Now it just hits the debugger and dies.

I'm reduced to OSBWRITing all the records from the RevG system to a DOS file (one DOS file per Rev table); but it's taking Forever (3 days so far) just for that part.

When I bring the data in it will be a straight write; but for the programs and dictionaries, should I just straight-up swap out all periods with underscores in the names and code? I'd think that would be safe. I know the Arev3.12->Arev32 conversion handles this; but of course, I'm dealing with RevG.

Open to Any hints, tips, suggestions, words of knowledge, etc..

Thanks!

Michael
  • You never answered my question as to the target destination of this system. Is this ultimately going to ARev32 to live indefinitely or is this being moved into OI?
  • Immediately into Arev32 so they can run their RDes programs on top of it.

Down the road they Might consider OI. They have to be able to run on modern hardware.

Sorry for overlooking your question, Don.

Thanks!
  • No problem. I just wanted to make sure I gave you an answer that was best suited to the immediate target.

I think if this were my project I would dust off an actual copy of AREV, use the ROS bond that works, and any other tools to port the the Rev/G stuff. Then port to AREV32 in the ordinary way.
  • We're soo close now. I have Arev3.12 installed and it Does indeed have the ability to read the ROS files. Now, when I do a Listvolume on the Arev32 (OI) volumes, it says there are no Linear Hash files. Of course, all those volumes show fine in OI/Arev32.

What things would prevent Arev3.12 from reading a volume's media map? I put a Revparam file on the volume, and have tried ServerOnly = 1 and = 0
  • I'm confused. Are you saying AREV 3.12 is unable to read the volume's media map or OI/ARev32?
  • I'm trying to use Arev 3.12 to transfer stuff from RevG to Arev32/OI.

Within 3.12, I can SetVolume and see and access all the RevG files now. But when I try to Listvolume or Setalias to anything in Arev32/OI, it says there are no Linear Hash files there. Even tho there are.

Sorry for the confusion
  • I think what is confusing me is that I get the impression that you have only pointed a volume to the Rev/G files in AREV 3.12 but you have not actually converted the tables into LH. Therefore, nothing has changed in a way that would make OI/AREV32 happy. Am I missing something?
  • Ok, let me back up.. most of the tables in OI/Arev32 were set up by my client about 5 years ago, before they tabled the whole thing. They've been running RevG from DOS/ CMD. Now they are reviving the conversion project.

I need to move over all their current data, Rdes, forms, dictionaries, etc. I can easily get to all the RevG stuff now, thanks to Arev 3.12. But, from within Arev 3.12, I cannot Listvolume, Setalias, or anything else when looking at the Arev32/OI files.

Ultimately I need to read something from RevG, massage as necessary, then write it to Arev32/OI.

Again, sorry for the confusion.. and thanks for your input!
  • I see. I didn't realize you already have OI/ARev32 tables in place. So you are trying to use AREV 3.12 as the man-in-the-middle that will take information from Rev/G and migrate it to OI/ARev32. When I suggested using AREV 3.12, I had envisioned that you would be converting the Rev/G tables to LH and when you were done you would simply attach these in OI/ARev32.

As for why AREV 3.12 can't see your OI/ARev32 tables, did you install the UD client driver into this copy of AREV 3.12?
  • The network type is Universal. Revparam is set to ServerOnly = 1

I didn't think there was a client install app like OI?
  • If AREV 3.12 already has the Universal network type then you don't need to run an installer. But, yes, there was an installer to load this network driver in AREV 3.12 for systems that never had it to begin with.

Well, I don't know why you can't see the data. I think you should be able to do so, but without seeing it myself I don't think I can troubleshoot this for you.
  • Thanks for all your help sir..

I'll have the network guy check the access rights on those volumes. If they don't have full access, I seem to recall Arev having a problem with it. Other than something like that, I don't know what's up.
  • Want a sec.. We had to find a WinXP box to run Arev 3.12. The Arev32/OI files are on the server. Might that be part of the problem?
  • If the XP box can map a drive to the server and see the files I would not think that this alone is the problem. Lots of people, unfortunately, are still using XP workstations running networked copies of AREV and OI.
  • I had a friend try the same thing.. attaching to Arev32/OI tables from within Arev 3.12. No joy. It looks like once you go to Arev32, you can't access the files from within Arev 3.12. I can't even Listvolume.

Looks like it's import/export.. and that is going to take Days.

Thanks for your help!
  • So, getting professional help with this is not an option? If it will save you days of work I think it would be well worth it.
  • It's not up to me.. my client doesn't want to spend $1500+ for a Works subscription that they will likely never use again.
  • I'm not sure what a WORKS subscription has to do with getting professional help. You can hire a company like us, Sprezz, or whoever, to connect in and check things out without a subscription.

Unless you bid this at a fixed cost, your client would be spending much more money paying you for days of work, right? If you did bid this at a fixed cost, then isn't it worth your time to personally hire someone who might be able to save you tons of unbillable work? Something isn't adding up (pun intended).
  • One more thing to try...if the OI/ARev32 tables are nicely contained in the same folder, temporarily move this folder to underneath the AREV32 system and attempt to attach them there. If that works, do what you gotta do to move the Rev/G data over and then move the folder back underneath OI/ARev32 and continue on.
  • Sorry for the spam...but another thought occurred to me. I'll bet these tables, and the REVMEDIA file, were created with 32-bit headers. Thus, AREV 3.12 will never be able to access them.
  • I just moved one of the Arev32 volumes under Arev 3.12. Tried to Listvolume on it. No go.

I fear you are right about the 32 bit header thing.

I'm be cursing now if I was given to that.. Looks like we're stuck with extracting and importing, which will literally take Days.

Thanks again