Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Control Not showing

User having trouble showing controls on Remote desktop from shortcut.

The controls are working perfectly if logging on directly from the RDS server (or APP server) but not showing icons when logging in through the shortcut icon, which loads EES but doesn’t display the icons.

Any ideas?

Full transcript of Email from our support guy to myself below, in case it is of use.
Note, we use own OCX register program, and controls are registered, but I am advising him to use the SRP one as well to check.
EES is our application.

Colin

---------------------------------

Have installed EES40 in test environment. Installed properly. Have run it from the APP server that EES and the Database are on.
They are both located on the same server. EES runs perfectly from the APP server.

The users connect through an RDS server to EES.
When logging into EES directly from the RDS server EES starts up and runs perfectly.

When they try and run EES from the same RDS server but through a desktop shortcut as the Users would (User machine would have an icon on the desktop to load EES from the RDS server via a batch file) then there are no icons in EES. (The batch file is working correctly as far as I can see because the RDS server is connecting and showing icons as expected.) But running EES directly from the RDS server icons display as expected.

We have registered the Controls using FindandRegOCX file that when run made the icons display correctly. It wad first run on the APP server and the icons displayed there and not on the RDS server, as expected. Then ran the FindandRegOCX on the RDS server and it then works on the RDS and APP server . This was run as the Administrator on the RDS server not as an admin user as this can cause issues with icons not displaying correctly.

So we have EES working perfectly if logging on directly from the RDS server (or APP server) but not showing icons when logging in through the shortcut icon, which loads EES but doesn’t display the icons. This desktop shortcut is needed for the Users to access EES.

Have you any ideas of where I go from here?

Comments

• When someone logs in, do they have their own unique session (i.e., Terminal Server)? Or is this an RDP into a physical machine. What Operating System?
  • Not sure, I am in Australia and the support Email from London (the client is in Northern Ireland)
    As such I am only going on what Troy advised.
    My understanding is the are RD onto a physical machine.
    Not sure on the O/S, Windows something of course, but don’t really know.

Can you advise what the unique session options might be and cause/result.

Colin
  • Some versions of Windows default to 24-bit, and 32-bit is required for proper rendering. You can search the forums to see discussion on that. Another issue is that, even if you register the controls on a physical machine, that doesn't mean they are necessarily registered for all terminal server instances.
  • Thanks Kevin
    I will get them to check 64bit/32bit settings, wherever they are.

As far as registering is concerned, how do you get it to register these controls on all instances.

Colin
  • In the create event of your menu form run the FindandRegOCX file.

Instruct clients to 'run as Admin' on any new PC setups.
  • Ah, yes. I totally didn't think about that. We generally avoid auto-registration precisely because it doesn't work without running OI in admin mode.