Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Indexing basics

I haven't been able to find anything definitive in any of the documentation that I have, so I thought I'd ask you guys for a little help with understanding how btree indexing works with calculated fields in data dictionaries. I'm finding that if I have btree indexing on a certain calculated field, and that field is changed due to changes in records in other tables, then the indexing does not get updated automatically. Is there someway that I can keep a calculated field's indexing updated when results are changed because of changes to records in other tables?

Comments

• Correct, index updates are triggered by changes in the record. SI.MFS tracks these changes and sets the appropriate flags. Indexes on symbolics work the same way but only if these symbolics reference data in the same row.

The technical answer is "yes you can work around this", but the work necessary to accomplish that is typically more than you might want to invest in. It's a bit technical and requires you to do a bit of surgery so that one database record change will trigger the index of another table.

Over the years I've learned to try and avoid these design dilemmas. I would recommend reviewing your design to see if you can do something different.