Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Email address validation

I know that I can look for several issues such as only one @ sign in the data and the address not ending in a dot one at the time, but I was wondering if there is something out there that I can call and does all the validating for me and I just need to see if it passes or fails.

Comments

• Email_Format validation
  • I haven't done it myself but your question got me curious. Curious to the point where I think I might start implementing it. A quick google and the first place to pop up was emailhippo

https://www.emailhippo.com/en-us/verify-email-address/api/a

Their API is pretty simple
    For a JSON response, make a simple GET request to the endpoint. For example, to query email address john.doe@gmail.com with license key ABCD1234 call:
    https://api.hippoapi.com/v3/more/json/ABCD1234/john.doe@gmail.com
    I'm sure there are others that do similar things and I can't personally vouch for any of them as I haven't tried them but now I wanna...
  • Barry
    Are you saying that we already have a email validation subroutine?
  • edited March 2018
    Yes [EMAIL_FORMAT]
  • Hey Barry,

I haven't used that approach either.
    Do you know off hand what it actually validates, that is, does it validate that the email address is indeed a valid email address or does it validate that the string complies with specific characteristics like containing "@"?

PHONE_FORMAT for example basically validates that the user has entered either seven or ten digits and then displays it in a nice readable format. It doesn't validate that the number actually exists and belongs to someone.

I'm assuming EMAIL_FORMAT is a similar animal but I don't have source for that.

That said, that may be all that Charles is looking for as well but I'm curious for my own benefit now.
  • The only reference in the help to it is in "What's New in OpenInsight 9.3"

Email_Format has been modified to allow domains that start with numbers- e.g. mike@123.com

>>I'm assuming EMAIL_FORMAT is a similar animal but I don't have source for that.
    Yes
  • This seems to be exactly what I need because I have tested it on a normal edit line, but since I am new to the srp ole controls I do not see where to add the validation. Can any of you point me into the proper direction?
  • With SRP OLE Controls, there is no validation property. Instead, you use events. For example, the SRP EditTable has a BeforeUpdate event. It fires just before the table applies changes to a cell. It's the perfect place to validate your email address.