Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

SRP_COM and SQL unknown errors

edited June 2018 in SRP Utilities
I am using SRP_Com to establish a connection with a SQL database. Once established I do a select to see if a particular record exists. If it does not I INSERT a new record. If it does exist I UPDATE the existing record. The following code is an example of how I do the query to determine if the record is present.
The Select Statement Script = 'SELECT TOP 1 ': SqlColumns<1,1> :' FROM ':SQL_Filename:' WITH(NOLOCK) WHERE ' KeyVariable SQLColumns is a list from a previous call.
KeyVariable is the key necessary to find a specific row. Example: Acct = 'SB1234'

The check is done using calls to a service routine.

Service ExecuteQuery(objConnection, QueryStatement, ReturnDataRows) Results = False$ ; // Assume no results from this query for now. If ReturnDataRows NE True$ then ReturnDataRows = False$ If (objConnection NE '') AND (QueryStatement NE '') then objRecordSet = SRP_COM(objConnection, 'CALL', 'Execute', QueryStatement) If SRP_COM('', 'ERROR') then Error_Services('Add', 'ADO error in the ' : Service : ' service: ' : SRP_COM('', 'ERROR')) Results = '' ; // Since there is an error, no result should be returned. end else If ReturnDataRows then Results = SQL_Services('GetAllQueryDataRows', objRecordSet) If Error_Services('HasError') then ErrorMessage = Error_Services('GetMessage') End end else Results = True$ end end SRP_COM(objRecordSet, 'CALL', 'Cancel') SRP_COM(objRecordSet, 'RELEASE') end else Error_Services('Add', 'The objConnection or QueryStatement argument was missing in the ' : Service : ' service.') end Response = Results Return Service GetAllQueryDataRows(objRecordSet) DataRows = '' If objRecordSet NE '' then DataRows = SRP_COM(objRecordSet, 'CALL', 'GetString', 2, -1, @FM, @RM) If SRP_COM('', 'ERROR') then Error = SRP_COM('', 'ERROR') end If DataRows[-1, 1] EQ @RM then DataRows[-1, 1] = '' ----> The following error occurs randomly. (Unknown ADO error in the ' : Service : ' service) If DataRows EQ objRecordSet then DataRows = '' Error_Services('Add', 'Unknown ADO error in the ' : Service : ' service.') end else If SRP_COM('', 'ERROR') then Error = SRP_COM('', 'ERROR') If IndexC(Error, 'current record has been deleted', 1) then DataRows = '' end else Error_Services('Add', 'ADO error in the ' : Service : ' service: ' : SRP_COM('', 'ERROR')) end end end end else Error_Services('Add', 'The objRecordSet argument was missing in the ' : Service : ' service.') end Response = DataRows end service
DataRows and objRecordSet will all to often be equal and that indicates an error has occurred. I cannot duplicate it at will but do see it occur fairly often. There seems to be a tie to workload on the SQL Server but that is just a hunch.

SRP_COM does not return any error when checked just prior to checking the equal condition. Thus the 'Unknown' in the error message posted to Error_Services.

The SQL Server is sitting in the Azure cloud. There is some discussion on the web about Transient Errors and SQL. I have added the retry logic that was suggested but just can't seem to get around this error nor figure out exactly what is happening.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.