Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Version 2; breaking changes?

Today we downloaded version 2.0.1 of SRP Utilities because we had a problem with Fast Array. But then I thought; wasn't version 2 ment for OI 10?

So in other words, is it still compatible with OI 9.4? Because according to semver.org updating a major release means breaking changes.

Also, it would be nice to be able to upload older versions of your controls and downloads on the page :-). I couldn't find a link to older versions of SRP Utilities so it was pretty hard to downgrade.

Comments

• There are two links on most of our product pages: one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit. The 32-bit link appears immediately below the product version label and the 64-bit link appears below the 64 Bit graphic. Admittedly this is a little confusing so we are going to update our download pages to include a 32 Bit graphic as well and hopefully this will remove ambiguity.

Regretfully, we have already determined that maintaining a library of older versions of our products is simply not feasible. There are too many worms in that can if it gets opened.
  • We did download the 2.x version, but usually when versions go up a major number this means that there are breaking changes. So the question is basically if version 2.0.1 is still compatible with our older Open Insight.

Meanwhile we already found out that it isn't, but I'm not sure if it's intended to be incompatible, or that it's just something in our code. I think using SRP_FastArray crashed Open Insight.
  • I am not sure semver.org is "gospel" with regard to software versioning. I've never seen it being applied to other projects I'm familiar with. It may very well be a convention that others use, but there is nothing binding.

Regardless, it was not our intent to be incompatible with older OpenInsight. Otherwise, we would not have released a 32-bit version of the product. If SRP_FastArray is causing problems then please post this as a separate issue with as much supporting documentation as you can provide us and we'll take a look at it.
  • Yes, I know semver isn't binding, but I thought I'd check here to make sure. That was the only intention of this post :-)

So now that I'm sure I can indeed post problems as a seperate issue when I encounter them.
  • Aha, I follow your intent. That would be great. We do want to make sure this is working as expected...especially since we rely so much on our own products. Thanks!
  • The goal of 2.0 always was to be backward compatible, the JSON issues from our other thread notwithstanding. If SRP_FastArray is crashing, then it's a bug that needs correction.

The question might be: why would something that worked perfectly in 1.6 start crashing in 2.0? The answer: SRP Utilities was re-written from the ground up because the old version relied on several libraries and a framework that was proving difficult to port safely to 64-bit. So, while our goal was to make SRP_FastArray (and everything else) work exactly the same, bugs could have been introduced in the re-coding process. We do as much unit testing as we can, but since this is a free utility, it admittedly doesn't get quite as much vetting as our commercial products.

I hope this increases your confidence that what you are experiencing is growing pains rather than an intentional jettison of OI 9.x support.