Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

AppBackup

Good afternoon, all..

This is a real head-scratcher.. I'm creating an AppBackup using the OI utility/form in order to "move" an application to a different copy of OI. From all appearances it seems to run fine with no errors. However, the folder which should be created in the process doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, and I can't do the restore to the other copy of OI (the application has been created previously).

When I go back to the original OI, I can do a Listmedia on the location where I created and all the _BACKUP tables show up; but nothing shows anywhere else.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Comments

• What is the literal path where OI is running from?
  • In this case, the original install is on a server \\itsvmappXX\Revelation\System. I've tried creating the Appbackup on another server, on c:\michael\backup, and even over RDP on my local C: drive.

Again, everything is visible and accessible from the original OI install, but no where else.
  • I meant to ask you what is the full path to the appbackup volume.
  • \\drkvmappXX\Revelation\SNBackup
  • Is that path on a server? What I was considering was perhaps this was due to folder redirection. I've seen this happen before with OI, but only when OI was in a folder that was subject to redirection rules. It was the weirdest thing because OI was able to see the tables no problem but when I went to inspect the files using Windows Explorer, they weren't there.
  • I'll look into that.. Thanks!
  • Evidently there are no group policies on the network.

Where/how else might folder redirection be activated?
  • Not in my wheelhouse so I'll defer to others for this or just suggest you do a little more online research.
  • Michael,

You mentioned in a previous thread that you were using UD 5. You MUST have a REVPARAM file in the path \\drkvmappXX\Revelation\SNBackup otherwise the REV*.LK/OV files created will get put on the DB server instead of the location you specified.

The UD 5 requires a REVPARAM file. Common practice is when creating tables for single user access or local make a REVPARAM file with ServerOnly=0 in the folder where you want the files to be created. This instructs the UD 5 Client (OpenInsight) to create the files there and not contact the server.

If, for example, you want \\drkvmappXX\Revelation to store LK/OV files for multiple users and there is a LinearHash service on \\drkvmappXX then I recommend putting the REVPARAM file in \\drkvmappXX\Revelation and setting ServerOnly=1 along with the correct server name. This instructs all OpenInsight clients creating files under the path \\drkvmappXX\Revelation to connect to the UD 5 LinearHash service for multi-user access.

Previously the LinearHash 4.7 client would default to ServerOnly=0 if no REVPARAM file was found. This made it all to easy for contention over the LK/OV files to occur if they happened to get simultaneously used by multiple clients. So the UD 5 requires a REVPARAM file to be found in the path.
  • Thanks Jared.. Much appreciated!