Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Background Colour

Is there a way to set the background colour for the entire edit control?

really would like to get it dark like my Atom editor to save the eye strain, thanks!

Comments

• another vote for a dark barckround
  • pretty pretty please can we get something going with this?!

It is actually giving me migraines having to switch back to a white background to code all the time from squinting :(
  • Aaron,

This is not a response to be taken as a "yes" or "no" to your request. I don't have enough internal information to make that call just yet. But I do want to offer some general comments:
    • Right now we are hyperfocused on the conference. We are delivering one of the presentations and we are (informally) showcasing some major updates to our SRP FrameWorks product. Most of the core engineers on staff are filling up every spare moment to get these things done.
    • The above is in addition to a larger backlog of client work than we normally have.
    • I realize this is an important feature to you, but I'm sure you realize we get a lot of requests for new features, enhancements, and bug fixes. We have to prioritize them. Bug fixes are obviously top of the list. We have a number of unfinished enhancements and new controls that keep getting put off...but they need to get done.
    • If a requested feature turns out to be relatively simple to implement, we generally find a way to slip that into the mix. But, until I get more internal information on this, I can't say much.
    • The other alternative we make available to customers is a partial underwriting agreement. If a customer is really eager to get something done, we are happy to provide a quote for the work (usually a split in the development cost) and then we will make it a top priority.
  • ha all good, I should have checked before posting as it looks like the codejock editor you are using doesn't support background colours of the entire control anyway so it so wouldn't be possible without changing that out.

NM i will just have to continue wearing my sunnies when i code in OI :P
  • Aaron,

Actually, we aren't using Codejock for the editor. We are using Scintilla (albeit an older version). But I'm glad to see you understand the potential issues. We first need to see if the control supports dark backgrounds. I think it does. Then we have to see how easy it is to expose. Then we have to see what kind of options are possible and whether we want to implement all of them. This is where a lot of scope creep comes in...so we try to anticipate what customers might reasonably want so this does not happen. Finally, we have to figure out the best way to expose all of these features into the SRP Editor UI (likely the Options window) in a way that is elegant.
  • Ah nice, well I also had a look at that and looks like its possible and one call on create to set the whitespace colour fore and back color :P

http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#WhiteSpace

SCI_SETWHITESPACEFORE(bool useWhitespaceForeColour, int colour)
    SCI_SETWHITESPACEBACK(bool useWhitespaceBackColour, int colour)

By default, the colour of visible white space is determined by the lexer in use. The foreground and/or background colour of all visible white space can be set globally, overriding the lexer's colours with SCI_SETWHITESPACEFORE and SCI_SETWHITESPACEBACK.

Is there a way I can just run a program that calls that function on the editor control and save for having to do any changes in the interim to the actual editor?
  • Aaron,

I can't answer that technical question. If it requires us to provide some kind of interim solution (i.e., to avoid the need for a full implementation), I am doubtful we would provide such a tool.

My suggestion is to wait for us to do our own feasibility study once we can catch our breath. Then we can propose options and set expectations.
  • I'll be honest, I really want this feature for myself. I've been experimenting with the Solarized color scheme in other editors, and it really is so much easier on the eyes.

However, it's not as simple as that one line of code. Scintilla doesn't have a concept of a transparent background, so in order to accomplish this, I have to set the background color of every single style. This involves a bit of extra management on my part to make sure things work consistently across the board. It's not hard, per se, but this is not something I can knock out in a few minutes. In fact, I just spent an hour this morning experimenting, and it's still not working. SCI_SETWHITESPACEBACK isn't even doing anything, so I have to spend time figuring out why. Additionally, when switching from light to dark, I have to take into account a bunch of things users are not currently able to colorize, such as the line number margin and the icons that appear next to bookmarked lines or debug statements.

Then I have to consider if I should do anything with the export routines that allow you to copy your code to the clipboard for use in other places. Should my code be dark when I copy/paste it into an email? That won't be trivial to make look correct. What if we want to work in a dark theme but copy/paste in a light theme? These are all questions that go into the project.

My point is not to discourage you in thinking this will never happen. Rather, it is to highlight how something like this has a larger scope than it would appear on the surface. Like I said, I want this for me, which means it will definitely happen at some point. :) I just don't see it happening before the conference.
  • Your patience has paid off. I have a beta build of the upcoming SRP Editor 2.8. I've overhauled the syntax coloring options. Not only can you set the background color, but you can save multiple themes. This build also comes with 18 built-in themes. I'd be grateful if you would be so kind as to try out 2.8 RC1 and provide me with feedback. I'm mostly interested in any lingering bugs, not new features. There is a lot more we can do with themes moving forward, but I don't want to delay this feature due to scope creep.

Download the zip file for 2.8 RC1. It contains an RDK folder and SRPUtil.ocx. You need both of these in order to get the latest features. Install the RDK per usual and register the SRPUtil.ocx.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • Thankyou :) much appreciated
  • Kevin - thank you so much. I love it

Will let you know if I find any bugs
  • Kevin is legend. I noticed the Export/Import option as well, which is great.

I saved my current theme as "Original (backup)". I then tried to apply the Solarized Dark theme and this was the result:

• There also seems to be a Font issue. If a choose a font for a specific style, then hit "Apply" - the name of the font disappears.
  • Frank,

Are you suggesting that something is wrong with your Solarized Dark theme?
  • edited June 2016
    I've checked a few more themes, and they all show the same sort of issue with wrong colors, odd blocks, and no change to the background - so I don't think it is just the Solarized Dark theme.
  • did you register the SRPUtil.ocx
  • *re-register
  • Frank,

I was more trying to figure out if you were identifying a problem, not whether it was limited to a specific theme. I see that you were reporting a problem.

Kevin may respond pretty soon with a definitive response, but since I am not seeing this problem I don't think it is a persistent bug. As Barry suggested, did you register the correct SRPUtil.ocx?
  • I ended up finding all copies of SRPUtil.ocx, deleting them, then re-copied and re-registered it. That seems to have resolved things.
  • I suspect the re-registering did the trick. Multiple copies is not a problem because the registration process creates a path to the control.
  • How do I change the cursor/selected text colour?

I created a style and the background colour of everything is black.
    Now I can't see where my cursor is or if I've got anything selected.
  • Mark,

This is a bug that has already been identified and fixed. It will be in the next release.
  • edited June 2016
    :)

Just trying to keep you guys on your toes.
    I'll change to one of the existing themes now.

which I would have done originally if I noticed the Theme dropdown before I manually changed every element.

*slaps forehead*
  • Will the next release apply the theme to the favourites pane?

scope creep? what's that?
  • edited June 2016
    My two favorite editors side by side and now rocking the same theme.

Thanks again guys. It may seem like a small thing but it make a big difference when you are staring at it all day. My eyes thank you.

4 thumbs up

No bugs found yet.

Just need to switch Windows 10 to a dark theme and my journey to the dark side is complete.

fyi - the theme is Deep Black
  • Mark,

If you even whisper a feature you would like to see I'll make sure all of your themes have harcoded white colors for every element. 'Nuff said.
  • Don, would asking the editor to fix my bugs and optimise my code be considered a feature?

did I type that out loud?
  • Mark,

No, that would not be considered a feature. It would be considered a miracle.
  • edited June 2016
    Dave, I don't know about you but my Windows 10 switches its theme on its own on a regular basis.

From working to BSOD.

and timezones... so I wear a watch to verify that the clock on my laptop is correct except that I charge my watch by plugging it in to my machine which then updates the watch time with the computer time.
    So then I use my phone to verify the time on my watch so that I can verify the time on my computer.

I wonder if I can get the same theme on my watch as I have in the editor and then the same on my phone?
  • do they have notepad++ for android wear?