Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

MDI Child not maximising correctly

I use the ribbon control as my main MDI. When maximising a child window the position is too high and not displaying the window title or the Minimise/Close buttons. Hiding the ribbon does not fix the problem. Therefore after maximising a child window the user cannot restore or close the child window.

Comments

• I'm not sure about the sizing of the MDI child being wrong, as I haven't seen that before. However, it is true that once maximized, there is no "resize" or "close" button available. This is due to the nature of the Ribbon control. Microsoft has long considered MDI's to be deprecated. The main problem is, where should these buttons go?

As a work around, you can add your own buttons to the TabBarArea to substitute for the missing ones. I'll see if there's something I can do, but I have a feeling that this is simply a caveat of using a Ribbon.
  • I seem to remember seeing somewhere, some code that sets the maximum a window can be resized to, so, I was wondering if you could, in a promoted create event(maybe), somehow calculate the 'visible' mdi space dimensions and set the maximise limited to that.
  • Barry - do you mean the TRACKINGSIZE property? Martyn blogged about this recently.
  • Yep, thanks.