Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Causing OI crash

Some users are experiencing an OI crash when using some SRP controls.
Notably the shortcut control on our main form.
This gives the standard Windows 'Openinsight has stopped working' dialog.
I can provide a screen shot, but its the one we always see on Windows.

The situation seems to be more relevant where there are some of the newer Workstations.
I downloaded all the latest SRP controls, and the user installed and registered these as normal.

The workstation is Windows 7 - 64bit

In some cases previously the workstartions that caused this was HP laptops.
Disabling the finger print reader has worked in some cases, but this still causes the crash.

As further information comes in I will update the forum here.

Please advise if there are any suggestions as to the cause, or things to try.

Colin

Comments

• We have been investigating further, with clients who are experiencing this issue.
    It sedems to be some process running on the Dell Vostro workstations.
    We are stopping one process at a time to try and identify the culprit.

WebcamDell2.exe *32
    This seems to be involved, but it may not be consistent.

We will advise further as we find any others.
  • The only time I've seen such drastic behaviors from our controls in on machines that have Anti-spyware/Anti-virus installed that prevent our controls from loading into memory. Some of these applications consider unknown ActiveX controls to be a threat. I can see HP laptops standing out if they have security software installed and active by default.

For the record, we use our controls on Windows 7 64-bit everyday, as do our many of our clients, and we don't see this kind of behavior. So, unless we can gather more information, I'm thinking that's the best place to start.
  • It may be Anti Virus software, I will check.
    I attach the screen shot of the message, in case it is of use.
    This however does show that the control populates correctly, so perhaps it is not a loading in to memory issue, as it is there.
    The crash is caused by the click event on the shortcut, in this instance.

I use Windows Vists 64bit, with no issues.
    May be a Windows 7 thing, but more information to follow once we chase with the client.

• You know what? I completely misread your post. I somehow thought the crash was occurring at startup. Can you send me the code you use to setup the Shortcut Bar? Perhaps there is something unique to that setup that I can manage to recreate on my end.
  • Code below:
    CREATE EVENT Array="" Array<2,1>="BMPS\Shortcuts.bmp" Array<2,2>=86 Qualifier=1:@FM:"2*ICEPAC*OLE*":OLE_SHORTCUTS Call Send_Message(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"QUALIFY_EVENT","ALL_OLES",Qualifier) CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.Layout","IT") CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.ImageList",Array) CALL Send_Message(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.Clear") CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.SelectBehavior","Single":@FM:"Single") CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.HotTrackStyle","IT") CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.AutoReposition",0) CALL Send_Message(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.InsertGroup",1,"Most Frequent") CALL Send_Message(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.InsertGroup",2,"Other Shortcuts") CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.GroupSpecial[All]", 1) CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.GroupExpanded[All]",1) CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.AutoReposition",1) CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.Animation","N") .OLE_SHORTCUTS->VISIBLE=1

Subroutine to populate
    COMPILE SUBROUTINE ICEPAC_MENU_SHORTCUTS(NULL) ICEPAC Set Main Screen View CJR - Nov 2003 $INSERT ICEPAC_COMMON EQU OLE_SHORTCUTS TO "ICEPAC_MENU.OLE_SHORTCUTS" CALL Send_Message(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.Clear") CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.AutoReposition",0) CALL Send_Message(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.InsertGroup",1,"Most Frequent") CALL Send_Message(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.InsertGroup",2,"Other Shortcuts") CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.GroupSpecial[All]", 1) CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.GroupExpanded[All]",1) CALL GET_NOMENCLATURE(NEW_WORDS) NO_BUTTONS=DCOUNT(VALID_BUTTONS<1>,@VM) IPOS=0 FOR I=1 TO NO_BUTTONS IPOS+=1 THIS_TEXT =VALID_BUTTONS<1,I> THIS_IMAGE=VALID_BUTTONS<2,I> SWAP "SC" WITH "" IN THIS_IMAGE BEGIN CASE CASE THIS_TEXT="Part Setup" ;THIS_TEXT=NEW_WORDS<1>:" Setup" CASE THIS_TEXT="SubPart Setup" ;THIS_TEXT=NEW_WORDS<2>:" Setup" CASE THIS_TEXT="Project Part Estimating" ;THIS_TEXT="Project ":NEW_WORDS<1>:" Estimating" CASE THIS_TEXT="Project/Part Analysis" ;THIS_TEXT="Project/":NEW_WORDS<1>:" Analysis" END CASE CALL Send_Message(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.InsertItem",1,IPOS,CHAR(13):THIS_TEXT) CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.ItemImage[":1:";":IPOS:"]",THIS_IMAGE) NEXT I NO_BUTTONS=DCOUNT(VALID_BUTTONS<6>,@VM) IPOS=0 FOR I=1 TO NO_BUTTONS IPOS+=1 THIS_TEXT =VALID_BUTTONS<6,I> THIS_IMAGE=VALID_BUTTONS<7,I> SWAP "SC" WITH "" IN THIS_IMAGE CALL Send_Message(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.InsertItem",2,IPOS,CHAR(13):THIS_TEXT) CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.ItemImage[":2:";":IPOS:"]",THIS_IMAGE) NEXT I CALL Set_Property(OLE_SHORTCUTS,"OLE.AutoReposition",1) RETURN
  • Kevin,

I cant really send a copy of the applicaiton, both due to the size, and the copyright.
    I will see what I can do about making a small setup of this.

Colin
  • I'm having a similar issue to the that stated above. Mine does happen on starting a window that has the control on it though. Unfortunately it is sporadic, which usually means that I do not yet know what the common cause is.

Is there any way that I can debug the control? I'm using it as an embedded ole control on a screen on a Win 2008 server which is running 64 bit OS. Would it add anything to the event log that I could track?

The hard part right now is that the client will end up getting the problem quite often, and I will only get it rarely, and if I try to debug the issue it is the initialization itself that seems to crash openinsight for us.
  • Brad,

What version of the control are you using (either the SRP ShortcutBar or the SRP Controls Pro)? I think you are experiencing a problem that has been reported elsewhere in the discussion forum and we finally resolved as of v3.0.5 of the SRP ShortcutBar (also released in v3.1.1 of the SRP Controls Pro). Please upgrade to the latest control if you have not already.

As far as debugging is concerned, the only real way to debug controls is to have Visual Studio installed on the machine having problems. As you can imagine, if this does not already exist, it is a major undertaking. Hopefully this is a moot issue.
  • We are using the SRPControls.ocx version 3.1.0.

I saw that thread, but it looked like it was only about the standalone shortcut bars which we are not using.
  • Brad,

The thread that I think you are referring to trailed off without proper closer. Honestly, when we found the problem we were not even trying to resolve that issue...it was another issue we were looking into. So it is possible that we need to go back and close off some threads. Either way, please download SRPControls.ocx v3.1.1 and let us know how it goes.
  • Thank for the quick reply. I will give that a go and let you know.
  • Just following up here. We applied the 3.1.1 patch to the SRPControls on the server on the weekend. So far none of the issues that had been previously occurring have come up again. We're going to keep monitoring it for a while here, but I think that did the trick. Thanks again for the help!
  • Seems that I posted too soon.
    The problem is still occurring (and just as before, it doesn't appear consistent) and just hadn't earlier this week until today. So we're now using the SRPControls.ocx version 3.1.1.

One of the clients we spoke to gave us some info about his login usage and what not, but right now I am most interested in knowing if there is any kind of log file written when the control goes down that I can look at and debug this issue? We do not see anything in the windows event log about it.

Some info for the user having the issue:
    Logging into our Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard server (Service Pack 1) 64 bit OS
    they are using citrix to connect version 12.3.0.8 with a 27" monitor 1920x1080 resolution. They are using a laptop set up as a dual monitor with Windows 7.

Any info on how to debug the issue would be welcome.