Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Fingerprint scanner

Has anyone interfaced a fingerprint scanner to their OI application?

Comments

• Many years ago so I suspect modern scanners probably work differently now.
  • @ausMarkB
    Were you calling the scanner API from OI
    Did you write the API from an SDK
    Did you create an 'ISO fingerprint template'
    Do you know if an 'ISO fingerprint template' is always the same regardless of the camparing fingerprint orientation, meaning storing the registration fingerprint template and then when scanned again, finding the matching person by comparing fingerprint templates that are stored.
    Were you doing a 1:1 or 1:N compare

Sorry but this is a minefield and I am going nuts.
    btw: What is the easiest non oi language to call from oi9. Is it now .net
  • @DonBakke have you looked into fingerprint scanners at all.
    Is there any white paper out there as to how you should implement in an application.
  • Given the silence, it seems no one at SRP has had to interface with fingerprint scanners. My preferred method of working with non-OI API's is to wrap a .NET API inside a custom, simplified .NET class, then use RevDotNet to make calls to that wrapper. We do not have a white paper on this, but there is a quick start guide on RevDotNet.
  • @BarryStevens - Kevin is correct, I don't think anybody here has integrated fingerprint scanning. As he noted, if this is going to be an SDK based API, wrapping it up so RevDotNet can consume it is often the best way to go. However, according to this article there appears to be web API solutions as well.

I'm sure a lot will depend on whether the hardware is predetermined. If so, then you need to find out what it supports.
  • @BarryStevens, at the time we integrated with fingerprint scanners (and other personal identification tools) the "identifying" component was part and parcel of the hardware and the hardware was usually predetermined by the customer before we were engaged. That meant that the scanning and the identifying was handled by the unit itself which would then output the results generally in some flat file format we could interrogate with OI.
    We didn't need to worry about storing or comparing the fingerprint itself.

I have on my list of to do's, to investigate this sort of thing again in a modern context and whilst I will be looking for a more direct online API approach I'll be looking with the expectation that any hardware/software I might utilise would again handle the storing and comparing. I figure if that's their realm then surely that's the least they can do right?

I'd be keen to hear if you find any solutions of that nature.
  • Thanks @barrystevens. I'll check it out.
  • That was one of the options in the link I provided. I watched their video. From what I can tell, the web API is straight forward. Doesn't seem much different than other web APIs have interfaced with.
  • @DonBakke how would you call those web APIs from OI9.
    If you had the HTTP framework would it it be easier, or is that completely down the wrong path.
    What if you dont have the framework and just use what OI has, how would that be done (OI9)
  • You are making web requests to these APIs and simply getting a response back. The "out of the box" way to do this in OI 9 is to call the OLE_GetWebPage function. This works for most purposes, but it does have some limitations that we have worked around in the HTTP Framework SendHTTPRequest service. I have no idea if you will run into those limitations since I've not studied any of these APIs in depth.

BTW, since you already have the HTTP Framework, you would not be restricted from using it.
  • >>BTW, since you already have the HTTP Framework, you would not be restricted from using it.

Yes, but I am doing this research on behalf of another developer, so I cant use it, (I am not sure if he has it).
    I will check as I just now realise I should :)
  • Understood.