Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Intermittent Lockups with Editor 2.6.1

I am experiencing intermittent lockups of OpenInsight when the new SRP Editor is running. This began almost immediately after installing the editor along with SRP Controls Pro 3.1.0. The editor works fine as long as you stay in the editor and there are no issues with compiling code. The problem seems to occur when you attempt to close or open certain OI forms ( unless perhaps it's something related to GotFocus/LostFocus when attempting to do it).

There is one situation where I can consistently reproduce this problem. I have a user defined button on the main OI IDE form that calls the Frameworks Frame Manager. If the editor is open, the first time I click this button the Frame Manager opens okay. If I then click the button again, OI locks up (loops). Task manager shows cpu utilization at 25%. The editor and OpenInsight show as "not responding".

I have also run across this problem in the FrameWorks application, if the Editor is running

On a few occasions, closing the Editor itself triggered an error.

All the enhancements made to the editor by the last two updates have been very helpful. I now consider this editor to be the essential tool for OpenInsight. I hope the lock up issue doesn't prove overly difficult to solve.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Don,

Thank you for the high praise of our products. I am also most appreciative of your detailed explanation of how the problem manifests itself.

I have not experienced any issues myself with the latest control and SRP Editor, at least any more than normal. I have seen this kind of lock-up on occasion, but it occurs rarely and without any consistency. I was hopeful that your experience with the Frame Manager would be the ticket to getting this to occur on demand for me, but alas this has not been the case. Just to compare, here is what my oinsight.ini file contains:

SideBarCustom_Name=SRP Editor,SRP Table Search,Frame Manager
    SideBarCustom_Text=Launch the SRP Editor,Launch the SRP Table Search Utility,Launch the Frame Manager
    SideBarCustom_Img=C:\Windows\SRPEditorIcon2.bmp,C:\Windows\SRPTableSearchIcon.bmp,
    SideBarCustom_Cmd=OIWINEXE**SRP_EDITOR,OIWINEXE**SRP_TABLE_SEARCH,OIWINEXE**DBW_FRAME_MANAGER

I seem to be able to launch, close, and launch the Frame Manager over and over while the SRP Editor is running.

Here are a few questions that might be useful:

1. What version of Windows are you running?
    2. How much RAM do you have?
    3. What version of OI are you running?
    4. How many items do you typically have open in the SRP Editor?
    5. In your Promoted_Create event routine, are you qualifying ALL_OLES for every ActiveX control or have you begun to do this sparingly?
  • Hi Don,

In answer to your questions:

1) Windows 7, 32bit
    2) 4GB
    3) OI 9.4
    4) Normally 10 to 20
    5) There are changes to how some controls are qualified. For the sake of clarity, I'm sending you the Promoted_Create_Event source code by email.

oinsight.ini entries:

SideBarCustom_Name=SRP Editor,ZZ Recompile,Context Menu Mgr,Frame Manager,Security Manager
    SideBarCustom_Text=Launch SRP Editor,Compile Programs Windows Events or Data Sets,Launch SRP Context Menu Manager,Launch SRP Frame Manager,Launch SRP Security Manager
    SideBarCustom_Img=C:\REVSOFT\OpenInsight\BMPs\SRPeditorTitle-32x32x32b.bmp,C:\REVSOFT\OpenInsight\BMPs\ZZ.bmp,C:\REVSOFT\OpenInsight\BMPs\SRPeditorTitle-32x32x32b.bmp,C:\REVSOFT\OpenInsight\BMPs\SRPeditorTitle-32x32x32b.bmp,C:\REVSOFT\OpenInsight\BMPs\SRPeditorTitle-32x32x32b.bmp
    SideBarCustom_Cmd=OIWINEXE**SRP_EDITOR,OIWINEXE**ZZ_UTIL_RECOMPILATION,OIWINEXE**NDW_CONTEXT_MENU_MANAGER,OIWINEXE**DBW_FRAME_MANAGER,OIWINEXE**DBW_SECURITY_MANAGER
  • Hi Don,

I received your code and replied to the email. For the sake of others following this thread, there were no significant differences that I could find. Also, my own sessions typically have between 50-60 items open in the SRP Editor.

I have not moved my main system to 9.4 yet. Martin Drenovac has posted some issues with the SRP Editor and he is using 9.4 as well. However, his issues are different from yours and I would be really surprised if 9.4 itself is part of the problem. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to know if 9.3.2 behaves differently for you and Martin. I will upgrade my system to 9.4 shortly and see if that does anything.

My best guess, however, is that this is a problem with the engine getting hung up on processing OLE events. I doubt it is related to our controls specifically, but that could also be me just wishing it was a Rev problem and not an SRP problem. :-)
  • Don,

I have discovered that on a fresh boot of the computer that I have been able to launch Frameworks Frame Manager repeatedly without a problem. Once the problem does happen (perhaps after a FrameWorks application launch or other action), I can consistently repeat the lockup by launching Frameworks Frame Manager. Simply exiting OI does not seem to completely solve the problem, but a reboot of the computer does.

Hopefully, this is more information to work with. I'll do some more investigating.
  • Don,

I would be interested to know if OINSIGHT.exe is still present in the Task Manager when the lock ups start happening and you just close OpenInsight.

I also forgot to mention that I have no experience with Windows 7 32-bit. Ever since moving from WinXP to Windows 7 (and now 8) I have been using 64-bit. I doubt this is relevant, but it is a difference in our configuration.
  • Don,

I can confirm that the previous version of the Editor worked without any lockups in both OI 9.3 and OI 9.4. I installed the new version of the Editor into OI 9.4. The problem began immediately and it happens fairly often.

I'll do a little more investigating and also get back to you on your task manager question.
  • Don,

After a lockup I must use Task Manager to kill OpenInsight. If I then run OpenInsight and close OpenInsight without rebooting, OINSIGHT.exe is removed.

I can confirm that the lock ups occur under OI 9.4 with the following 32 bit operating systems:
    Windows 7 Professional

Windows XP Professional

Windows Home (on an old netbook)
    I can also confirm that I can produce the lock up consistently by launching Frame Manager, if the FrameWorks application and the editor are both running.

I'll try to do more on this later today and test it under OI 9.3.

Thanks for your help.
  • Don,

This might be a little extreme, but one way to eliminate the variables would be for you to upload your entire system and let me try to duplicate the problem on my machine. If you are amenable to that then let me know and we can arrange a data transfer over private email.
  • Don,

Thank you for the offer. I would like to try a few things first. I can reproduce this problem regularly without the FrameWorks application having run at all. That is, simply working within the OI IDE such as launching Frame Manager. So this eliminates anything unique to my application.

I agree at this point that it probably makes sense to take this offline until a solution is found. I'll send you an email if I can narrow this down any further or If I decide to take you up on your offer.

Thanks.
  • Problem solved.

I had to "re-initialize" the SRP EditTable controls in each form by removing the program ID, then recompiling the form, then replacing the program ID, then recompiling the form again. So far after a day's use, there have been no more lockups.

Happy 4th of July!

And no, I didn't work today. : )

Don
  • Hi Don,

How did you even come to figure this out?
  • Don,

Well, it was more common sense than technical sense. Once I eliminated anything unique to my application, I focused on the SRP forms that were run from the OI IDE. There weren't many of them. Those that caused a lockup (such as Frame Manager) all had SRP EditTables on them. Those without SRP EditTables (such as Context Menu Manager) never caused a lockup. So I assumed the problem was somehow related the SRP EditTable.

I then discovered that not every form in my application that uses SRP EditTables caused a lockup. But some older forms with SRP EditTables did cause lockups. That led me to try "re-initializing" the SRP EditTable controls. I tried it on the Frame Manager form first , since I could reliably trigger the lockup by running that form, and it worked. The rest is history as they say.

Thanks.
  • I'm seeing lockups as well OI 9.3.2. I upgraded to 2.6.1 on OI 9.3.2 and from time to time when starting the srp editor I get a srp message pop up. I click ok and then OI freezes. Need to close OI via the task manager. I sent you a screen shot of the message Don.
  • David,

Thanks for the screen shot. I will respond here for the benefit of others, but I will leave out irrelevant details. Is there any possibility that one or more that the SRP Editor is being launched under the following conditions:

With different engines (i.e., serial numbers)?
    With different paths to OpenInsight?
    With different versions of SRPLicence.dll?

Also, what do you see when you run the About box from the SRP Editor?
  • Yes, to all your questions Don.

Screen shot of the about box

• David,

For some reason the screen shot did not come through. My goal was to make sure that SRP Util appears with a version number (should be 3.1.0). If there is the possibility of different versions of the SRPLicence.dll hanging around then some effort should be taken to clean these up. I do not know if this environment maintains different copies of this file or if they are all centrally located. It might also be worthwhile if you did another inventory of serial numbers and send them those to me. I will verify that those are included in your license.

Thanks.
  • David,

All of a sudden the About box now appears. Go figure...
  • I had trouble uploading it. Finally worked it out.