Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

SRP_Send_Mail OLE Error

I installed v3 in an OI 9.4 application that I am deploying. This application resides on the same computer as my development copy of OI 9.4. I can send an email from this computer without errors. When testing the deployed application on another computer, I am getting Ole Error - 2147024894. I checked that all of the components have been installed using the Product Documentation on the SRP Wiki site. I then un-installed the installed copy (and all of the Revelation components installed via clientsetup) and then manually copied the folder over where SRP_Send_Mail is working, then ran clientsetup, and I get the same error. Is there something that I am missing?

Comments

• Make sure .NET Framework 4.8 is installed. I need to update that installer page to reflect the latest changes.
  • Hi Kevin. Thank you. I checked and both computers have .NET Framework 4.8 Advanced Services installed. I used the link anyway on the computer where I am having the issue and it confirmed that .NET Framework 4.8 is already installed.
  • Email me at kfournier@srpcs.com, and we'll do a remote support session.
  • Okay, thanks, I will.
  • Kevin - I saw your message above regarding "Make sure .NET Framework 4.8 is installed" - is that a requirement to use SRP Mail utility? I have recently installed SRP Mail utility to use in an silent error routine. I have encountered a few anomalies, but want to confirm your statement above that v4.8 .NET is required, as I do not have that installed on my workstation, I have attached a screenshot of the .NET installed on my workstation. As well, after I installed the SRP Mail utility, I checked based on this link "https://wiki.srpcs.com/display/MailUtility/Installation+Guide" and it states several examples would be included, as well as SRP Mail.chm, etc. I have attached 2nd screenshot of the items in the installation instructions that did not install or does not exist. Please advise. TIA.
  • edited September 2022
    The first screenshot tells me what OI Client Installers you've run, but it doesn't tell me what version of .NET you actually have installed. There's a handy tool you can download here that will give you more precise information.

It looks like almost none of the RDK installed. I'm not sure why that would be the case, but you can try downloading the RDK here and manually doing an RDKINSTALL on it. SRPMail.chm was a help file, and it doesn't install anymore since all the help is online. I need to update the wiki page to reflect this.
  • looks like I do have v4.8 via MS updates...
    I ran the SRP mail utility install via the *.exe, should we only be installing SRP products via RDK?

TIA.

<32Bit>
    ->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
    ->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

<64Bit>
    ->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727
    ->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319

==== Installed .NET Frameworks ====
    .NET FW 2.0 SP 2 (CLR 2.0)
    .NET FW 3.0 SP 2 (CLR 2.0)
    .NET FW 3.5 SP 1 (CLR 2.0)
    .NET FW 4.6.2 Windows 10 May 2020 Update(CLR 4.0)
    .NET FW 4.7 Windows 10 May 2020 Update(CLR 4.0)
    .NET FW 4.7.1 Windows 10 May 2020 Update(CLR 4.0)
    .NET FW 4.7.2 Windows 10 May 2020 Update(CLR 4.0)
    .NET FW 4.8 Windows 10 May 2020 Update(CLR 4.0)

==== Installed .NET Core Runtime 64bit ====
    No .NET Core x64 Runtime

==== Installed .NET Core Runtime 32bit ====
    No .NET Core x86 Runtime

==== Installed .NET Core Sdk 64bit ====
    No .NET Core x64 Sdk

==== Installed .NET Core Sdk 32bit ====
    No .NET Core x86 Sdk

==== Languages ====
    < Installed Languages 3.0>
    English - United States
    < Installed Languages 3.5.x>
    English - United States
    < Installed Languages 4.x>
    English - United States

==== Updates ====
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    KB2468871
    KB2468871v2
    KB2478063
    KB2533523
    KB2544514
    KB2600211
    KB2600217
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
    KB2468871
    KB2468871v2
    KB2478063
    KB2533523
    KB2544514
    KB2600211
    KB2600217
    KB2468871
    KB2468871v2
    KB2478063
    KB2533523
    KB2544514
    KB2600211
    KB2600217
    ==== END REPORT ====
  • The .exe installer is still the normal way our tools should be installed. However, there are situations where the installer is blocked from installing the RDK. Thus, as a backup plan we make the RDK available.
  • You're all set with regards to .NET 4.8. Now I just need to know what is not behaving correctly to troubleshoot further.
  • if .NET is okay, moot point from that aspect. Now its a matter of getting the rest of the SRP mail stuff that did not install. Per Don, he seems to think there is a situation whereas the installer is blocked, thus making the install partial. Guess I will find out if it works when I can test it. I downloaded SRP Mail utility from SRP's site, installed and used UNC for destination of OI root. Nothing unusual when installing, when the installation prompts for "where to install...", I tried the pb for file explorer but it did not recognize the drives, so I just copy/pasted the UNC into the editline and it accepted it and it dropped SRP items into my OI root. FYI.
  • Our installers don't work using UNC paths. At least, the RDKINSTALL always fails using UNC. You'll either need to map a drive or copy the RDK I linked above to a local folder and install from there.
  • Kevin - I ran the SRP Mail utility via the installer (*.exe) and attached is the path/location I installed to and that the "finish" dialogbox for completion of the installation. Then I compared what was installed onto my workstation to SRP's online wiki (https://wiki.srpcs.com/display/MailUtility/Installation+Guide). The (*.exe) appeared to accept the UNC I entered in the editline, but (and that always changes the course of a sentence) as mentioned it appears to be a partial install. Is there a quick/easy way to determine if the (*.exe) installation actually worked, using UNC? The critical components seem to be installed, I was just going to see if it worked. I did download the RDK you listed above, but you mentioned, RDK does not play well with UNC and UNC is all I have for installation. You mention copy the RDK to local folder and install from there. So, RDK or not, I think what you are saying, is that SRP tools have to be install onto a local drive and cannot be installed on a network drive. Unfortunately, mapping or remapping of drives is not really an option on the network. Is there an easy way to determine if install worked (just based on critical components) that I can try out? I will trying installing locally (c:\...) as well. Thank you.
  • UNC paths can work when you run RDKINSTALL directly from within OI so long as the UD service has control over that path.

Yes, some of our installers choke on UNCs, but that's because Windows gets in the way. We recently discovered that using UNC paths within Windows' own DOS Command Prompt can fail for even built-in commands. Our installers can deal with UNC paths no problem when doing other tasks like installing files into a folder and registering OCXs. The problem is specifically when we try to run RDKINSTALL from the installer. This requires spinning up a new invisible process, and it seems certain permissions won't carry over to that process despite the installer's elevated permissions.

It's not that SRP is reticent to support UNC paths. Rather, we haven't found the hoops through which Windows bids us to jump. Admittedly, I haven't put as much effort into troubleshooting this issue as I would like due to my workload and given the fact that there is a work-around, hence the RDK I sent to you.
  • edited October 2022
    Understood Kevin, I appreciate the information and just trying to determine a work-around. Since the installation only did a partial install as an *.exe, I ran the RDK that you provide. btw - does it really matter if RDK to application or does it have to be in SYSPROG? TIA.
  • It doesn't matter. RDKINSTALL knows where to put everything. :)
  • We've found that for customers using UNC paths, some have to add the UNC path to the list of Trusted Sites in Internet Options on the desktop for the installers to work. Does that help?
  • Adding UNC to list of "trusted sites..." does not work for our environment, so if a user needs to install any SRP utilities, do we have to get an RDK version install of the downloaded installers from the SRP website? As I need to install several of SRP tools, but I guess I need to install via RDK into our \\dev and \\test environment. Can I get the RDK installed versions of SCHEDULER? TIA.