Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

"Upgrading" to OI10.x

I have a client that's been using OI9.4 forever. The application is coming to the end of its road; but because of support issues, they are considering going ahead and upgrading to OI10.x.

4 questions:
1. Given the app is going away fairly soon, is it even worth upgrading?
2. How seemless is a conversion? Is there much 9.4 code/forms/etc. that won't run/well under OI10?
3. Reports of continued OI10 bugs persist. Honestly, is any edition of OI10 solid enough to "risk" converting?
4. Is there an "x" in OI10.x that we should target?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Comments

• 1. It depends on the client's need to be running on supported software. Revelation is dropping support for OI 9, but that doesn't mean it won't continue to work. You just won't get updates. For some of our clients, this is a show stopper since running on supported software is critical to meeting security standards.

2. Moving to OI 10 is not an upgrade, it is a port. 90% of your system will convert, but you will have to put in some man hours to get everything working as it was in OI 9. It's not as arduous as moving from AREV to OI was, but it will require time and effort. I can't speculate how much time it will take you since I don't know the system. Maybe some other SRP folks can chime in on how long some of their ports have taken.

3. There seem to be, in my experience, more bugs in the IDE than with OI itself. While there are some lingering issues still to be addressed, our clients' apps are running reliably. Perfectly? No. There are still some issues, but apps aren't crashing or anything.

4. 10.2. That's the latest build and it's an improvement on all other versions. We've already found a couple issues that will be addressed in 10.2.1, so make sure to get that when it's released.
  • Thanks Kevin
  • Has anyone here actually done such a port? Anything I need to look out for?

I'd like to hear more from folks who have actually done it, if possible.

Thanks, all!
  • edited March 2023
    Yes, we've done ports and continue to do ports for various clients. You will be best served by cleaning up your repository first (e.g., using SCAN_REP). Look for dependencies upon 3rd party tools and make sure you have a 64-bit equivalent since that will likely be a requirement. Plan to port each and every application starting from the application that is the parent of all others (i.e., this would be the one that directly inherits from SYSPROG). If you plan to share data between OI 9 and OI 10 then you'll need the UD 5.2 for OI 9 installed.
  • We are about to go through the same process.
    Just to clarify, I think I saw somewhere that an OI10 licence will include a 5.2 UD icence but using 5.x on v9.x is chargable.

So is the "UD 5.2 for OI 9" different to the OI 10 version? I suspect so because the client install will need to be 32 bit. Does that mean the cost will be incurred for purchasing 5.2 for 9?

• >>So is the "UD 5.2 for OI 9" different to the OI 10 version? I suspect so because the client install will need to be 32 bit.
    YES - afaik it is a 32/64 combined

>> Does that mean the cost will be incurred for purchasing 5.2 for 9?
    YES - our bigestest gripe in being able to run parallel systems in LIVE TESTING mode!
  • As I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation @BarryStevens.
  • YES - our bigestest gripe in being able to run parallel systems in LIVE TESTING mode!

Why is this a gripe?
  • >>Why is this a gripe?

Having to pay for something the customer wont pay for - then it would be obsolete.
  • Having to pay for something the customer wont pay for - then it would be obsolete.

So is this a gripe against Revelation of your customer? I assumed it is against Revelation but I would argue it should be against your customer. Our customers, for the most part, have seen the value in the investment. Perhaps it is because they know they will still be running on OI 9 for an extended period of time given the lift require for most OI 10 migrations.