Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

SYSLISTS

edited November 2023 in OpenInsight
I am going to see if I can cut a long story short here.

We had an issue where a client came into all sorts of grief because the SYSLISTS REV*.OV file was like 60GB+
Turns out some of the Devs havent been using RTI_LIST("DELETE", myID) when they were putting SELECT staments to a TARGET_SAVELIST$.

OK. We can go through and fix those up.

In the process of trying to clean up the existing data though we spent a bit of time working out what the SAVELIST does.

It seems that the SAVELIST will create 3 SYSLISTS records .
  • The 'GUID' record
  • a 'Q' record that gets appended to in subsequent creations (maxed at 10 maybe?). It looks like a 'Recent' list?
  • a 'W' record that looks suspiciously like the data in the GUID record!
If I do a RTI_LIST("DELETE") it seems to only delete the GUID record and not the matching W record (or adjusting the Q record)
That would indicate that, regardless of good practice, those W records will still eventually become quite large when they represent SELECTs with large returns.

So my questions:
  1. What are the Q and W records used for?
  2. What does the RTI_LIST("DELETE") not remove them as well?
  3. How to W records get cleaned up then?
  4. Is anything "important" permanently stored in SYSLISTS or can I just do a CLEAR_TABLE?

Comments

• I knew I had this somewhere.

Subroutine BS_Clean_Lists(void) pfxlist = "T,W,Q,B,TCL" Open "SYSLISTS" To slFv Else Return idate = date() - 2 Select slFv EOF = 0; knt = 0 Loop Readnext @ID Else EOF = 1 Until EOF if index(@id,'.',1) then lock slFv,@id then unlock slFv,@id delete slFv,@id end end else part1 = @ID[1,"F*"] Locate part1 In pfxlist using "," setting F Then Delete slFv, @ID Then knt += 1 End End Else part1 = @ID[1,"F_"] If part1 eq "SESS" Or part1 eq "SESS2" Then part2date = Field( @ID, "_", 2) If Num( part2date) Then If part2date lt idate Then Delete slFv, @ID Then knt += 1 End End End End Else part1 = @ID[1,"F*"] If part1 eq "QUERY.TABLE" Then Delete slFv, @ID Then knt += 1 End End Else part1 = Field( @ID[1,"F."], "*", 3, 3) part1date = iconv( part1, "DE") If part1date gt 0 and part1date lt idate Then Delete slFv, @ID Then knt += 1 End End Else part1 = Field( trim(@ID), " ", 2,3) part1date = iconv( part1, "DE") If part1date gt 0 and part1date lt idate Then Delete slFv, @ID Then knt += 1 End End End End End End end Repeat return
  • FWIW, at some bigger clients, we would keep an empty copy of the lk and ov files for syslists on hand. Whenever syslists became large enough to hinder performance, (and it inevitably would regardless of our attempts to clean it out on the fly), we'd simply do a doscopy of the files.
    Obviously we'd choose an appropriate time to do that, but it was the simplest, quickest way to rectify the problem and never seemed to have any ill effects.

Oddly enough, when performance was dire enough to point us in that direction, users seemed more than willing to log off for a couple of minutes and appreciative of the almost instant noticeable resolution.
  • Thanks @AusMarkB. Thats what I ended up doing for this site in particular. I gave them the empty files that we deploy with a new site. No ill effects so far.

@BarrySteven, Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I only have gone through it 2 or 3 times so I still have a few more before I start to understand it ;-)

Also, I appreciate the code sample. I will run it against the backup copy of the problem site I kept and see what it does for us. I wasn't aware SYSLISTS had so many record types!

We have started using Saved Lists more and unfortunately not always deleting them after use. I have now gone through our entire source and corrected that oversight.
  • Would this logic also apply to the systasks table?
    We are also building up entries via immediate RTI_TASK_SUBMITS.
    Obviously the completeion of a task doesnt clean that up, otherwise you couldn't retrieve the status.
  • Does anyone else have an ever growing SysTasks table as well?
    I was thinking maybe AusMarkB's solution for Syslists might also apply to Systasks?
  • I'm being mum on this because I don't have any apps that use the SYSTASKS table.
  • Fair enough.
    We have only just started using it ourselves (Immediate Task Submits) to get around a problem we encountered running some preocess via System Monitor. Thats a longer story.

Already though, I can see the residual entries stacking up so my question was pre-emptive rather than problematic.
  • @AusMarkB

You, sir, are a neverending source of Boomhauer memes! Always gets a chuckle :)