Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Get_Property

I use Get_Property ARRAY property to get a data from an Edit Table. It's a large Edit Table and returning the data takes some time.

I then a few lines of code later call Get_Property again to get the VALUE of a radio button on a different window. The data returned is the same as the first call, a large string of @FM, @VM delimited date. If I call the Get_Property again with the exact same parameters I get a return value of 1, which is correct.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

BTW I know the best solution is to use SRP Edit Table, I just don't have the time right now to do that.

Jim R Vaughan
www.waterloo-software.com

Comments

• I have never seen that happen before. This might lead one to conclude that when pulling in so much data, it causes a problem with the second Get_Property command. However, without seeing your code, I can only take this at face value and assume that this isn't a code problem. Assuming this is a legitimate problem, have you tried swapping out the second Get_Property command to interrogate a different control (e.g., the TEXT property of an edit line control)? I think it would be useful to know if this problem is somehow linked to the radio button or if it is really just a problem with large ARRAY values.
  • Yes, I tried that, I switched the Get_Property radio button VALUE with a Get_Property check box CHECK call and the check box also returned the wrong data.

Calling the Get_Property twice as I mentioned also fixes the problem.

Bizarre.
  • Bizarre indeed. I can only fathom that this is due to some buffer overload (and yes...I'm making this up but it's the best I've got).
  • It's strange the data has a LEN of 1,909,206 and the Set_Property ARRAY is very quick the Get_Property ARRAY is very slow.
  • edited March 2021
    Yes, I've seen this before and posted on the Rev forum years ago (it's no longer there - Get_property returning the wrong value).

Our work-around was to test get_property() for a known value in a loop before continuing on in the code, where susceptible.