Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

OIPI install

Hi all (especially Don),

A client is trying to install the OI Client on a virtual box running Windows 10. After apparently installing correctly, when running a List from TCL, OI reports that ClientSetup needs to be run. Is there any reason that OI wouldn't recognize a client install?

Thanks!

Michael

Comments

• Usually because they didn't run "As Administrator" first.
  • Ok.. I uninstalled and ran the setup as an administrator. Same thing.

Is it because it's a virtual pc?
  • It depends on the virtual PC. All that really happens with the ClientSetup is updates to the registry. If the Virtual PC is setup in such a way that changes to the registry are not preserved, that could be a cause.
  • Kevin explained this better than me, but I was going to suggest something along the same lines. Rather than use the ClientSetup.exe, which might obscure the real problem, try registering VSPRINT7.OCX and VSPDF.OCX manually (remember to "Run as administrator" first) from a command line and see what it says.

I'm also assuming you are using OIPI Classic and not OIPI.Net.
  • I've just been running the OI 9.4 ClientSetup. It's trying to install OIPI.Net. I haven't seen an option for Classic.
  • You aren't prompted for an option. It just attempts to install both OIPI.Net and the OCX controls in the same setup. However, what really matters is how your OpenInsight is configured. Do you know how to tell what version of OIPI your system is attempting to use?
  • Properties on the ClientSetup exe says 9.4.0.0.. On install it says 9.4
  • Are you making an observation or a point? FWIW, that distinction is irrelevant.
  • You asked what version of OIPI. That's as far as I can tell, sir.
  • Okay, then you misunderstood me. I asked if you knew how to tell what version OpenInsight is configured to use. This is a setting within OpenInsight itself, not the client setup. Open the SYSENV\CFG_OIPI record and report the contents in attribute 1.
  • FWIW, we run Windows 10 Pro and OpenInsight 9.4 in virtual servers without any issues. However, we are using VMWare ESXi and XenServer as the host. Most of my personal attempts to get OpenInsight working in Virtualbox were met with frustration and mixed results. I can't recall running into your exact issue but it has been a while since I have attempted it. While not free like VirtualBox, I believe VMWare Workstation has worked for others. I personally do not have any experience with that product.
  • VSPRINTER2.. Should I just use VSPRINTER?
  • VSRPINTER2 means it is trying to use OIPI.Net, VSPRINTER means OIPI Classic. It is really a matter of preference or requirements that determines which one you use.

Knowing this is VSPRINTER2 is helpful because it tells us that the problem is not related to the OCX controls (although, those might still be unregistered...but they are ignored right now). This tells us that you are unable to install the .NET components. This might be related to what Kevin suggested. I don't know at this point because there isn't a whole lot of information to go on here.

You might try switching to VSPRINTER just to see what happens.
  • Bingo! Works like a charm (and much faster)

I know I learned this years ago but I've slept since then

Thank you Sir!