Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Engine server

Hi,

Is there some technical documentation about using the SRP Engine server.
At the moment we use 7 warehouse wince barcode scanners and 20 ipads connecting an oengineserver.
This is done through an apache webserver by executing php-script.
This works, but debugging is hell.
Maybe SRP has a more elegant solution.

Ed

Comments

• Technical document will be forthcoming, but I can also direct you immediately on this product.

The SRP Engine Server is a fire-and-forget design. It does not return results from requests. I'm not sure if this will meet your needs. We use it for tasks that can run 100% asynchronously, such as batch data processing or synchronizing to SQL databases. Your scanners, as I understand it, need back-and-forth communication.

What in particular is making the debugging so painful? Is it the OEngineServer or the fact that the back end is Apache/PHP instead of OI?
  • Hi,
    The problem is that connecting to a oengineserver, you're unable to step through the code in a debug mode.

Ed
  • Ed,

In theory it is possible to call the SRP Engine Server from a process that does not originate within a Basic+ routine, but that is not the original design. We posted some technical help for your review. As you can see, the assumption is that you will be using a stored procedure to manage the SRP Engine Server. Therefore it might not be a workable solution for you.

Perhaps your environment prohibits you from configuring the OpenInsight EngineServer for debug purposes, but it certainly is possible. You have to launch it from a command line rather than as a service.
  • Hi,
    Yes, I had that command line thing once running. But i only saw the in/out going through.
    What you call the SRP EngineServer, i already use that with apache. (WebApi) Just like calling google maps distancematrix.

Ed