Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

Icons Not Displaying on Ribbon when Using RDP

We have been testing our new MDI frame based on the SRP Ribbon Control and noticed that the icons on the Ribbon are not showing up on an instance of OI that is from an RDP login. The Ribbon Control works (we can click on the buttons and forms load, etc.), but no icons show when logged in through RDP. Text for buttons do show up on the Ribbon Control.

I saw some posts about RDP in relation to other SRP controls, but most of the issues seemed to be about the control not being registered. This must be different since the Ribbon Control is working, it just isn't showing any of our icons on the ribbon.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Comments

• I just found this post, which seems to address the issue I am having. I will try out what was determined in that post and reply here if it works or not. Thank you.

https://forum.srpcs.com/discussion/217/ribbon-on-a-terminal-server#latest
  • See if this thread helps your situation.
  • Thank you, Don, that seems to be our same issue. We are running Windows Server 2008, but in following the document at the end of the thread, we couldn't figure out what to do at step "1) b." where it says:
    "Choose 'Add Roles' and configure the Remote Desktop Services."

When we check "Remote Desktop Services" and click next, it brings us to a series of checkboxes and the document didn't tell us what to check. Attached is a screenshot of what I'm talking about. It won't let us click next without checking something, so I assume we do need to check some or all of those boxes.

Do you know what I should do next?

Thank you.

RDP.jpg 69.3K
  • See about skipping the Remote Desktop Connection services and just change the "Limit maximum color depth" value.

This can be done through Group Policy or RegEdit. It is located under \Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment.
  • Corby,
    Thank you for the reply. I'm not quite sure how to find what you're referring to in RegEdit. When I open RegEdit, how do I get to "Windows Components"? I assume once I find Windows Components, I'll be able to follow the path you posted, but I couldn't find the starting folder.

Thank you.
  • Adam,

Sorry about that, I copied over the Group Policy path and not the RegEdit path. I just double checked and I don't seem to have the correct path for the RegEdit option so I will need to do further research to see if that is an option or not. So let's focus on the group policy method as I know that works.

1. Open up "Edit group policy" on the server. This should open the Local Group Policy Editor.
    2. Navigate to Computer Configuration - Administrative Templates - Windows Components - Remote Desktop Services - Remote Desktop Session Host - Remote Session Environment
    3. Look for "Limit maximum color depth" in the list of settings.
    4. Choose "Enabled" and from the drop down, select 32bit.
    5. Apply the settings.

You will need to at minimum restart your remote session. You might also need to reboot the server but in the past I believe a restart of the remote session picked up the 32bit colors and resolved the issue.

Thank you.
  • Corby,

Thank you very much! We were able to follow those steps and all is working now. The icons now show up on remote sessions to the server. And just so you know, we were able to get it working by simply logging out of the remote session and logging back in. There was no required restart of the server. Great!

Thank you for typing out those instructions. Much appreciated!