Welcome to the SRP Forum! Please refer to the SRP Forum FAQ post if you have any questions regarding how the forum works.

JSON Schema Services

I see that HTTP_JSON_SERVICES includes services for defining and retrieving json schemas, as specified by json-schema.org . Is there a way to validate a json POST request against a schema, or a recommended approach for doing so? It seems one would need to build something to their requirements, or use a 3rd party tool.

Cheers, M@

Comments

• Somewhat ironic timing that you would ask about json-schema today. In answer to your question, our framework does not have anything built-in for schema validation and I'm not sure how I would approach this just yet. When I added those services it was several years ago and was done to support a project that required a dynamically generated presentation. I fell in love with the concept of json-schema since it fit very well into a RESTful design. However, after that project we haven't been able to build this foundation out much more.

The irony of your timing is due to a new project we are working on that I think will definitely benefit from json-schema. Hence, I'm revisiting the APIs that I originally wrote and hope to bring them back to life if not extend them. All I can say for now is, "stay tuned!"
  • Ha - good stuff! :). Fortunately the schema I'm building at the moment is fairly simple and flat, so should port well to anything you're building in the framework. I may need support of Object type properties in future though.
  • In reviewing the release notes, I do not see any updates to the json schema. Is there any plans to update the schema capabilities or should we be generating a schema outside of the framework? Just looking for some guidance. Thanks.
  • You are correct, nothing new has been introduced. It is on our roadmap for v5 of the product. However, it is safe to say that this won't be coming around the corner anytime soon.